Master of quirk: Why Benny Dayal is the most stylish musician around
The singer owns a 90-year-old hat bag filled with an eclectic collection of headgear. And he has a thing for jackets with floral and comic prints — the bigger, the better.
He is one of the more fashion forward singers in Bollywood. Benny Dayal (32) is often spotted in unconventional ensembles – dhoti pants, long line tops paired with sneakers or flashy boots. At his Andheri (W) pad, we were welcomed by his ear-to-ear smile and loads of quirky hats, jackets and rows of shoes. “I have phases. For a while, I will love hats. Then I will move on to experimenting with my glasses, followed by shoes, and then go back to hats. But these three have been a constant throughout my life,” he says.
Custom-made: “One of my favourites is a hat with my name on it. Malaysian rapper Yogi B gifted it to me when I was there.”
The hat collector: “My wife, Catherine, gifted a hat bag for my birthday. It’s an antique, dating back to the 1920s, bought off eBay. I personally love the boater hats – flat, low top and mostly, made of cane. These are generally sported by barbershop quartet bands. They complement every attire. My favourite boater hat is from a local store in New Orleans, USA.”
Closet staples: “Jackets, hats and shoes. I love buying all sorts of jackets — whacky, colourful, simple. My favourite jacket is the Suicide Squad one from a mall in Malaysia. The Scratch, Boom, Bang, Pow jacket has been with me since 2008, and still is a favourite. One of my newer buys is an Adidas jacket.”
Street shopping: “I shop all over the world. I splurge in malls in Bangkok (Thailand), Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia), and Jakarta (Indonesia). I also enjoy shopping from boutiques in the little alleys around Trafalgar Square, London. But the best deal I have found till date was in Barcelona, Spain. I don’t recall the exact street or place but I got three vibrant pairs of Oxford shoes for 123 euros (Rs 9,200 approx).”
Culture exchange: “I love to pair Indian outfits with western accessories. For example, I like the combination of pyjama pants and sneakers.”
Buying MJ’s shoes: “I am a Michael Jackson fan. I used to love his jacket from the Billy Jean video (1982). It was studded with rhinestone. So, when I saw a pair of Gucci shoes with rhinestones on them, at Bloomingdales (Dubai), I just had to buy them.”
Framed: “I love to experiment with my glasses. My new favourites are a pair of Tom Ford glasses I picked up in New York. I love them so much, I have an identical spare set.”
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Malaika Arora and Arjun Kapoor recently visited Kareena Kapoor Khan to meet the new baby. Malaika looked absolutely stunning in her pinstripe midi dress and matching accessories.
- Bipasha Basu’s sizzling looks from Maldives, set vacation vibes soaring high be it in a tangerine or floral print georgette kaftan by Varun Bahl and we can’t wait to let these contemporary styles jazz up our summer wardrobe without burning a hole in our pockets
- For the shooting of a new advertisement, Mira Rajput wore a gorgeous tile print mini draped ruffled dress. We are fan of this summery look.
- The 78th annual Golden Globe Awards 2021 was held on February 28. While most of the celebrities attended the show from the comforts of their home, some made it to the red carpet and flaunted their gorgeous sartorial picks. Some, however, did not make it to the best dressed list.
- As the Globes split hosts, with Amy Poehler at the Beverly Hilton and Tina Fey at the Rainbow Room in New York. There was nary a pair of sweats in sight.
- After returning from the Maldives, Shilpa Shetty stepped out for lunch with her family at her restaurant and opted to wear a co-ord set that was comfy and chic at the same time.
- For a day outing, Rakul Preet opted to wear a beautiful lemon yellow mini dress with a crop denim jacket. The actor imparted summer vibes with her ensemble and we are inspired.
- Mouni Roy is the new millennial trendsetter and these pictures of her in cool and fast fashion of tie and dye loungewear are proof
- Malaika Arora recently took to Instagram to wish her fans a happy Sunday as the actor enjoyed a lazy day at home wearing a sports bra and sweat pants.
- Sonkashi Sinha lays perfect style tips to break all the fashion records on a work-day in a dainty pink suit set with bell-sleeves and gorgeous pastel colour-base that has left us hooked with its must-have appeal for our summer closet
- Want to raise the hotness quotient while looking effortlessly trendy? Search no further and take fashion cues from Radhika Madan whose fun and fearless style for Netflix series ‘Spotlight’ looks fresh as spring in an off-shoulder scarlet crop top, jeans and red heels