Male rompers aka Romphims: Indian designers say there’s nothing ‘girly’ about them
The latest menswear fashion trend in the US- romper for men aka romphim, is being trashed online for being gay; sparking a debate if men’s fashion is becoming too feminine. Romphim is yet to hit the Indian market but our designers think that with fashion becoming easier and more fun, it’s a cool choice for guys this summer. It seems that hypermasculinity is a thing of the past and fashion for guys finally doesn’t surrender to norms.
Decoding the romphim
The romphim is a one-piece combination of shorts and shirts or T-shirts for women and children. They first came into existence in early 1900’s in the US. The reason they became popular was because they were loose, relaxed and ideal for movement for small children in an era where they wore restrictive clothing. Fast forward to the 21st century where women flaunt a romper because it’s fashionable and comfortable. Now, a romphim is a romper for guys. This trend came into existence this year.
Why is it trending
Earlier this month, Americans suddenly noticed a Kickstarter project for rompers for men and went gaga over it. Kickstarter is one of the largest funding platforms online for creative projects. The Romphim- is a Kickstarter page for rompers for men. It is the brainchild of Daniel Webster Clark and Elaine Chen who are yet to graduate from business school. For them, the project started as an independent study. They set themselves a goal of $10,000 in funds through Kickstarter. They have already got $363,476.
Apart from quickly getting funds, their venture has started a debate online where some of the social media users branded romphim as gay and debated whether men’s fashion has become a bit too feminised.
Here are a few memes and tweets regarding it.
What Indian designers think about Romphim:
“When a woman wears a suit, it’s considered sexy but when a man wears a romper, it’s considered gay. It’s rubbish. Fashion has now evolved to a point where it has become of medium of expression for the individual. Men have the freedom to wear whatever they want. Besides, I think in this weather, a male romper would be just perfect.”- Gaurav Khanijo
“Fashion now has nothing to do with gender or sexuality. Those who are labelling it as gay are stuck in the past and they need to move on. A few years ago, men did not wear pink shirt but now they do. Soon male rompers will become mainstream. Gender lines will become even more blurred. I think rompers is a cool pick for guys.” -Anand Bhushan
“ Today, when it comes to fashion, there is freedom to wear whatever we want. I don’t agree with the notion that a romper for men is gay or men’s fashion has become feminized. In fact, it’s become progressive”. –Rina Dhaka
“Fashion is always subjected to so much judgment all the time. Fashion is all about challenging set perceptions. This new trend does that. I don’t have a problem with it and I don’t think there’s anything gay about rompers. Besides, I think it’s perfect for this weather. It’s comfortable and keeps you cool. Anything that is new is met with resistance but with time people get used to it”.- Anupama Dayal
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Khushi Kapoor is currently holidaying in Delhi and giving us winter wardrobe inspiration. The 20-year-old has been spotted wearing a lot of delicate crop sweaters and wide-legged pants.
- Nora Fatehi, who is currently holidaying in Dubai, has been serving us some royal looks lately. Her recent statement-making kaftan dress is fit for a queen and we love it.
- Anne Hathaway forgoes the traditional red carpet premiere of her film ‘Locked Down’ but treats fans to a slew of luxurious looks in three dazzling metallic gowns from Vivienne Westwood, Versace and Azzaro and we can’t stop swooning
- Samantha Akkineni recently slayed in a denim midi dress at the promotions of her upcoming web series, The Family Man. The actor flaunted her enviable curves in the distressed bodycon outfit.
- Manish Malhotra encourages men to experiment with colours this wedding season, nails a dapper magnificent look in a purple textured sherwani with a bold animal emblem and a pair of white pants and we are in awe
- Gauahar Khan shared images of herself looking absolutely stunning in a sweater worth ₹2k and pyjamas along with husband Zaid Darbar. The fashionista can slay any outfit and these images are proof.
- Want to look your 'vinatge best' on a date night with bae this winter? Sonam Kapoor Ahuja sorts fashion woes on how to sizzle up some romance and make a steamy monochromatic statement like she does in a sultry black velvet dress from Anand Ahuja's Bhaane. Read on for styling cues
- Want to make a fashion statement in office while sticking to an easy fit no-fuss garment? Look no further as Bhumi Pednekar sorts your fashion woes with her radiant look in a dirt yellow and beige jumpsuit that is sure to steal all the spotlight at work
- 13-time PGA Tour winner, Justin Thomas was dropped as an ambassador by the fashion brand Ralph Lauren on Friday, after the golfer was caught uttering a homophobic slur last Saturday during a tournament.
- For Makar Sankranti celebrations at her home, Aditi Rao Hydari wore a breathtakingly beautiful anarkali suit that featured an exquisite floral print.
- Karisma Kapoor exudes the richness of sartorial traditions as she nails work from home fashion in a vibrant ready-to-wear handmade midi dress, in romantic pink hue, by Anita Dongre and we are smitten
- Sonam Kapoor Ahuja proves to be ahead of the fashion curve yet again as she looks like a dream while flaunting a sensual and generous silhouette in Stephane Rolland’s Imperial China inspired gown, ravishing pictures set the Internet ablaze
- Milan Fashion Week 2021: Though Dolce & Gabbana have withdrawn from the four-day men's fashion event, brands like Fendi, Etro and Kway are opting to broadcast live shows while Ermenegildo Zegna, Tod's, Prada and Church's have opted for pre-records as rising Covid-19 cases dampen the buzz in Italy