Men, get your style right
There is something about a man and his impeccable, iconic style that leaves an indelible mark on memory, writes Manish Malhotra. Here are some of my style tips for all the men who want to stay stylish.fashion and trends Updated: Sep 02, 2010 13:57 IST
There is something about a man and his impeccable, iconic style that leaves an indelible mark on memory. In Bollywood, stylish men have always stayed in people’s minds for their signature looks — Big collars worn by Mr. Bachchan, floral shirts worn by Dharmendra, Shashi Kapoor’s boyish dressing, late Feroz Khan’s dapper style to Rajesh Khanna’s belts over kurta shirts... there is almost a legendary style recall to these men and their style.
Today, whatever Shahrukh Khan wears, he makes it look effortlessly stylish. Abhishek and Saif, with their classic style, and Ranbir and Imran, with their experimentation, are pioneering the new ubercool look of the man of today. So the message is clear — the man and his style are serious business. So here are some of my style tips for all the men who want to stay stylish.
Salons are not for sissies
The man of today shouldn’t think that it’s a girl’s thing to go for a manicure or pedicure session. It’s also about being hygienic. Using the right deodorant is more about feeling good about yourself. So don’t shy away from that spray.
1. The bulk on your body: Being bulky has nothing to do with masculinity; the lean look is in. So go hit the gym.
2. Over accessorising: There’s something iffy about a man who likes accessories like chains and rings.
3. Colour code: Wearing too much colour or clashing colours is a style disaster
4. Bottle blonde: A few streaks are okay but an overdose is so wannabe.
5. Fit it right: Ill-fitted jeans are a style crime.
And some style notes for this season
1. Go for pin-striped office suits in colours like grays and browns. To add an edge, wear a coloured tie.
2. Go for slim fits. From trousers to coats the new cut is sharp and slimming.
3. Straight cut jeans make a comeback this season.
4. This winter, maxi cardigans will be big — the ones with shawl collars teamed with easy fit pants.
First Published: Aug 31, 2010 17:09 IST