Republic Day: PM Modi’s turban makes sartorial news, yet again
While the fog took the visibility level down to an all-time low, with even TV screens appearing to be smoked-out, a hint of colour popped out from the crowd as India celebrated its Republic Day. And, we have our Prime Minister to thank for it.
While the Delhi chill has kept the half-sleeved Modi kurta out of sight, the turban clearly continues to be a favourite with our PM.
Dressed in a toffee-tan bandhgala suit paired with a saffron turban (reminiscent of his maiden Independence Day speech) and finished with a silken pocket square, Narendra Modi stood out yet again for his sartorial choice at Rajpath.
“His attire was very occasion-perfect. The long end of the turban, which extended at the back, reflected on the symbolic message of the entire ensemble very clearly. It was primarily to celebrate the feeling of national pride on such a special day. I personally loved the choice of colour and the ‘Make in India, with pride’ philosophy attached to his choice of outfit,” says Sunil Sethi, president, Fashion Design Council of India.
Designer Rina Dhaka feels that amid the sea of monochromes, Modi’s attire made an impact. “The turban was a lovely choice. It not only lent him height and a statuesque form, but the saffron (colour) also added a bit of elegance. There was no way one could miss him even on such a chilly dismal day in a crowd of greys. His fashion sure beats the French!”
Designer Nida Mahmood also gives Modi’s R-Day look a thumbs up. “Apart from the colour combination, the length of the jacket is what added an edge to the look. I also love how the pocket square balances out the colours, besides the burst of yellow in the turban.”
For designer Anand Bhushan, the turban seems like a form of social commentary. “Modi has always remained true to his Indian aesthetics and his Made in India sensibility. The choice is a great social commentary for the international community too, and a reminder that there are people of different backgrounds and cultures who can coexist peacefully.”
Prime ministerial fashion that made news
* The eponymous Modi kurta: Half-sleeved, easy-fit kurta that has been a long-standing favourite with our Prime Minister. Ahmedabad-based label Jade Blue, which gained instant popularity for being the PM’s go-to choice for apparels, even sells these trademark kurtas online.
*At the swearing-in ceremony: NaMo charged up the occasion with a light coloured, underplayed ensemble way back in 2014. Ditching his Modi kurta, he went for a full-sleeved version with a bandhgala jacket instead.
*His first Independence Day speech (2014): The debut of the celebratory turban in tie-dye. Saw the return of the khadi Modi kurta.
*Second Independence Day speech (2015): The look sobered up a bit, but the turban trend continued in a Gujarati Mashru weave that the Twitterati hailed as ‘Burberry inspired’.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Sara Ali Khan’s white ruffle cold-shoulder playsuit at Manish Malhotra’s house party last month made jaws drop in awe and set the mercury soaring but the good news is that you can add the ravishing ensemble to your vacay wardrobe too without burning a hole in your pocket
- Bhagyashree gives fans a sneak-peek into her kitchen as she prepares organic oil to nourish her hair, claims it reduces hairfall when applied atleast once every week | Watch
- Hina Khan recently took to her social media and shared images of herself wearing a purple and pink tracksuit. We are guessing that this is what Barbie would look like in athleisure.
- For her flight, Kiara Advani opted for an extremely comfy attire and wore an all-black velvet tracksuit. The Kabir Singh actor added a hint of elan to it with her high-end cross-body bag.
- Shanaya Kapoor oozes charms as she lays fashion inspiration, for resort wear this summer season, in a sizzling floral mini dress which is sure to make heads turns
- For her cousin's haldi ceremony in the Maldives, the Ek Villain actor Shraddha Kapoor opted to wear a white and sea blue lehenga choli set and look absolutely breathtaking.