Mourinho charged by FA after being sent off in loss to West Ham
Beleaguered Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho was hit with a misconduct charge from the Football Association (FA) on Monday following his half-time rant in the Premier League champions’ shock 2-1 defeat against West Ham on Saturday.football Updated: Oct 27, 2015 13:12 IST
Beleaguered Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho was hit with a misconduct charge from the Football Association (FA) on Monday following his half-time rant in the Premier League champions’ shock 2-1 defeat against West Ham on Saturday.
Mourinho is already appealing against a £50,000 ($76,000, 69,000 euros) fine and suspended one-match stadium ban for comments made about officials following Chelsea’s home loss against Southampton earlier this month. And he faces further charges after being sent to the stands by Jonathan Moss for letting rip at the referee when he went to see him in the officials’ changing room during the interval at Upton Park.
“Jose Mourinho has been charged with misconduct in relation to his language and/or behaviour towards the match officials in or around the dressing room area at half-time,” an FA statement confirmed. Silvino Louro, one of Mourinho’s assistants, had already been sent off earlier in the London derby following his protests after Nemanja Matic was sent off for two bookable offences and he has also been charged with misconduct.
Mourinho was infuriated both by the Matic dismissal and the decision ruling Cesc Fabregas offside when the Chelsea midfielder finished off a Willian pass for what would have been the equaliser. After suffering the indignity of having to sit among celebrating West Ham fans as Andy Carroll headed the late winner, he then ignored Premier League regulations by refusing to speak to the media after the match and is likely to face another fine as a result.
Mourinho’s suspended stadium ban relates to any future critical comments he makes to the media, however, so his latest antics won’t trigger that punishment.
Both Chelsea and West Ham have also been charged for failing to control their players in the aftermath of the challenge which led to Matic’s dismissal. “Chelsea coach Silvino Louro has also been charged with misconduct in relation to his behaviour which led to his 45th minute dismissal from the technical area,” the FA statement added.
“West Ham have been charged for failing to control their players in the 44th minute of the game and Chelsea have also been charged with the same offence for an alleged breach in the 45th minute of the game.
“All parties have until 6pm on Thursday (October 29, 2015) to reply.”
Chelsea are already facing a £25,000 fine for receiving more than five bookings in the loss. Mourinho’s outburst at Moss was a further sign he is struggling to cope as the pressure mounts following Chelsea’s miserable run. The Blues are languishing in 15th place, nine points adrift of the top four, after their fifth league defeat of the season.
They travel to Stoke in the League Cup fourth round on Tuesday and a loss for the holders at the Britannia Stadium would increase speculation that Mourinho’s spell in charge of Chelsea is about to end in the sack. Mourinho has had to refute talk of a dressing room mutiny this season, with some players reportedly unhappy with his strict man-management style and public criticism of their performances.
Stoke manager Mark Hughes, a former Chelsea striker, disagrees with Mourinho’s critics and believes the Portuguese coach will eventually get his team back on track. “It’s a period he has the knowledge and understanding to address, and he’ll turn it around,” Hughes said.
“I don’t think anyone thinks that he won’t. I don’t anticipate they’ll be in the position they are for too much longer. Chelsea have quality right throughout the club that will enable them to come through this moment I’m sure.
“He says it himself - he’s a top manager and he’s the best manager Chelsea have ever had, so why would they change?”