Daily short walks can improve respiratory health
New research published in the journal Respirology finds that those suffering from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) can reduce their risk of hospitalization following severe attacks by walking a mere three to six kilometers each day and maintaining that regimen.
COPD is a medical term concerning emphysema and chronic bronchitis, though some people may be afflicted with both diseases. The term refers to breathing difficulty due to long-term lung damage from smoking or other health issues such as exposure to dust, chemicals, or air pollution. A family history of COPD is another risk factor.
Symptoms include coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath, labored breathing and chest tightness. Severe symptoms, or eCOPD, include acute, life-threatening breathing problems from reduced lung function. Five Spanish respiratory clinics studied 543 COPD patients and determined exercise levels after examining how far the patients walked after one week. The exercise findings were compared to hospitalization information from Bilbao's Hospital Galdakao-Usansolo.
Researchers found those who maintained a moderate to intense fitness regimen -- which could include low-intesity activities such as walking for three to six kilometers each day -- had much lower risk of hospitalization from serious breathing issues. Those who did not exercise regularly or not often enough were at much greater risk of hospitalization.
"COPD patients are less likely to engage in regular physical activity than healthy individuals. However, regular exercise has been associated with reduced risk of hospitalization for exacerbated COPD and mortality among patients with COPD," said Dr. Cristóbal Esteban. "Indeed, even a low level of PA [physical activity] such as walking a minimum of 2 hours per week has been associated with decreased risk of hospitalization for exacerbated COPD."
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Watch: From the former Miss India’s Vrischikasana or Scorpion pose of Yoga to the Tiger Zinda Hai actor’s bodybuilding exercises at gym, Pooja Batra and Nawab Shah's rigorous workout this Wednesday is all the motivation we need to amp up our couple and fitness goals together
- Esha Gupta recently shared a fitness post nailing an extreme stretch and left her audience speechless. We are in awe of the actor too.
- Yoga enthusiast Malaika Arora stresses on the importance of breathing for overall wellness, lays Monday motivation by taking fitness freaks through the steps and benefits of Anulom Vilom Pranayama or Alternate Nostril Breathing exercises | Watch
- Karisma Kapoor recently took to Instagram to flaunt her toned midriff and inspired us to start the month on a fitter note and take care of our health.
- Shilpa Shetty Kundra shows how to let the positive Monday energy wash down over you by giving ‘the spine, shoulders, and hamstrings that much-needed stretch’ with Yoga’s Forward Bend Pose or Paschimottanasana | Watch