The Batman director Matt Reeves reveals more plot details about Robert Pattinson film after teaser debut: ‘We’re in year 2 of the Gotham experiment’
Director Matt Reeves has provided a significant amount of information about the plot of his upcoming Batman movie, whose first teaser debuted during the DC Fandome event on Sunday. Reeves has revealed that the film will show Batman, played by Robert Pattinson, in the second year of his existence, and will also serve as an origin story for certain villains.
During the film’s panel at the Fandome, Reeves spoke extensively about the film. He said, “The whole idea is that this is all an experiment in the movie. The idea that we’re in Year 2, it’s the Gotham experiment, it’s a criminal logical experiment, trying to figure out what he can do to finally change this place. And in our story, as he’s in that mode, that’s where you meet him and you see that he’s charting what he’s doing and he doesn’t seem to have any effect on what he wants to happen.”
Reeves continued, “And that is when the murders start to happen, and then the murders begin to describe sort of the history of Gotham in a way that only reinforces what he knows about Gotham, but it opens up a whole new world of corruption that goes much farther. But as that story starts to come out, without being an origin tale for him, it ends up being something that touches on his origins. So you start to describe this epic history of corruption in Gotham that you start to understand ‘well, where did my family sit in that’ and in that sense... is a way to take a story, a point-of-view story, a mystery. It’s got, of course, action, and all that kind of stuff, but at the end of it, it’s incredibly personal for him even though it’s in the story where he’s trying to understand and unravel this mystery.”
Only about a fourth of the movie has been shot so far, with filming slated to recommence in September, after being halted by the coronavirus pandemic. The teaser suggested that the primary antagonist of the film will be Paul Dano’s Riddler, but it also provided looks at Zoe Kravitz’ Catwoman, and an unrecognisable Colin Farrell as the Penguin. It is scored to the tunes of Nirvana’s Something in the Way, which sounds like it has been fused together with Michael Giacchino’s new Batman theme.
The movie also stars John Turturro, Peter Sarsgaard, Jayme Lawson and Andy Serkis, and is slated for an October 2021 release.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Emma Watson, more than her co-stars, would struggle with wanting to not return to the Harry Potter series.
- Wesley Snipes has spoken about why his Black Panther film never got made in the 90s. The role was eventually brought to life by Chadwick Boseman.
- Billie Eilish The World’s a Little Blurry movie review: Apple's brilliant documentary traces the meteoric rise of the music industry's most mercurial performer.
- The fans of Harry Potter star Emma Watson were shocked as a report hinted that the actor has given up her career in acting and is devoting her time to her boyfriend.
- The first teaser for director Zack Snyder's upcoming zombie film, Army of the Dead, has been released. Dave Bautista leads the cast, which also features Huma Qureshi, although she isn't seen in the teaser.
- Actor Gal Gadot has said that she was on the verge of giving up acting when she was cast in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice as Wonder Woman. Read her nostalgic post.
- Kim Kardashian took to her Instagram account and remembered her father Robert Kardashian on his birth anniversary. Sister Khloe Kardashian and Kourtney Kardashian also shared photos.