24-yr-old commits suicide after being bullied for dressing up as a woman
Bullied and ridiculed by his friends and strangers over social media for “dressing up in women attires”, a 24-year-old man Wednesday jumped before a train and committed suicide, police in Chennai said.
V Kalaiyarasan, a resident of Kannikapuram in Vyasarpadi, a northern suburb in Chennai, used to release videos of himself on a mobile-based application, TikTok, to much ridicule.
“We retrieved his body but did not find his phone on him. Enquiry with family members revealed that Kalaiyarasan was under distress for being teased by his followers on the app over his videos in women’s costumes. Many of his followers ridiculed him, calling him a transgender and a eunuch,” a senior officer investigating the case told HT.
“...I cannot be cowed down by those who tease. Despite the fact that I have uploaded many male role videos, why the haters are hurting me ruthlessly when I am posing as a woman,” Kalaiyarasan has asked in his last video.
One of Kalaiyarasan’s neighbours, K Vimala, said he “very disturbed at the backlash and the harsh criticism”.
The police said Kalaiyarasan was also scolded by his family members for uploading such videos.
“After seeing his videos, several people known to his family reported about him to his parents... We are examining his TikTok account. Some of his friends are being questioned as well,” the officer said.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The Rafale jets will cover the journey to India in a single stretch with refuelling support of the UAE air force
- Russia is set to train the first group of Indian military specialists in operating the S-400 and the first batteries are expected by September.
- Among other charges, the two men have also been booked under sections of the Uttar Pradesh Prohibition of Unlawful Conversion of Religion Ordinance
- Digvijaya Singh accused the Centre of trying to derail the farmers' protest
- At a press conference, AAP spokesperson Raghav Chadha, while questioning the connection between Sidhu and BJP, showed several photos purportedly of the actor with various BJP leaders. "The BJP planted their stooge Deep Sidhu to create chaos in farmers' tractor parade," Chadha said.
- The police said the IED was most probably planted in the night and that the perpetrators were probably familiar with the troop movement.