Goa: Over 100 holy crosses and graves in Christian cemetery vandalised
Over 100 crosses and plaques at the Guardian Angel Catholic cemetery in south Goa’s Curchorem village, around 45 kilometres from Panaji, were desecrated in the wee hours of Monday.
Inspector general of police Rupinder Kumar said they were looking into the matter and investigating all possibilities in the case. Police also said miscreants damaged the CCTV camera installed at the gate of the cemetery before desecrating the crosses and plaques, leaving no video evidence of the incident.
This is the fourth incident in a month reported from south Goa where religious artefacts or idols have been desecrated.
Reacting to the attacks, chief minister Manohar Parrikar had said specific attempts were being made to create tension in Goa.
“Such acts will not be tolerated. The culprits will be punished once they are caught,” he had said.
Goa police have formed a special team to crack the cases.
It was also announced that the Anti Terrorism Squad (ATS) and cyber cell will be involved in the investigation
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The 10-member team will commence the journey from the misty mountains of Arunachal Pradesh at Bomdila and will then enter Bhutan.
- In a letter to the Cubbon Park police station, Dinesh Kalahalli said that the complaint had taken a sinister turn wherein the character of the alleged victim was being questioned.
- The police headquarters took action after a picture of the man walking with his son's decomposed body in a plastic bag was widely shared on social media.
- Omar Abdullah chided BJP's Suvendu Adhikari who was quoted a saying the "Bengal will become like Kashmir" if the Trinamool Congress returns to power in the assembly election.
- Two hundred kg of cocaine and 60 kg of hashish were seized from the boats registered in Sri Lanka
- Brahamchari Atmabodhanand of Haridwar's Matri Sadan ashram wrote to Prime Minister Narendra Modi, describing his fast as ‘tapasya’, a fight against corruption and for preserving the environment.
- The President was on a two-day visit to Madhya Pradesh. Sunday's 'Janjatiya Sammelan' where he delivered his speech was organised by the MP Tribal Welfare Department.