...
...
Next Story

Lalu calls for march to Lok Bhavan on Aug 19 against state govt's 'dictatorial attitude'

RJD's national working president and Lalu's son, Tejashwi, had said Mahagathbandhan leaders would submit a memorandum to the Governor over the Siwan incident.

Published on: Aug 18, 2026, 15:12:51 IST
Advertisement

RJD supremo Lalu Prasad on Tuesday called for a march to the Lok Bhavan on August 19 against the "dictatorial attitude" of the state government that "responds to democratic demands with bullets from an AK-47".

The opposition party's leader said members of the Mahagathbandhan would attend the march and submit a memorandum to the governor over the alleged firing of an AK-47 rifle against student protesters in Siwan district last month. (File Photo/ANI)
The opposition party's leader said members of the Mahagathbandhan would attend the march and submit a memorandum to the governor over the alleged firing of an AK-47 rifle against student protesters in Siwan district last month. (File Photo/ANI)

The opposition party's leader said members of the Mahagathbandhan alliance would attend the march and submit a memorandum to the governor over the alleged firing of an AK-47 rifle against student protesters in Siwan district last month.

A police constable was suspended after a video purportedly showing him using an AK-47 rifle during a student protest in Bihar's Siwan district on July 25 against an NEET exam paper leak went viral on social media.

Also Read | SC refuses to cancel Lalu Prasad Yadav’s bail in fodder scam

Police officers had said no one was injured in the firing, and an inquiry has been initiated as there were clear instructions to the police force not to open fire during the demonstration.

Also Read | Prashant Kishor didn't defeat just BJP, but a Lalu Yadav and a Nitish Kumar too

"Instead of listening to their democratic demands, the arrogant government, built on a system of corruption and exploitation, responds by firing bullets from AK-47s. This is unjust. Everyone should unite in Patna on August 19 against this dictatorship and dictatorial attitude of the state government."

Talking to reporters in Patna recently, RJD's national working president, Tejashwi Yadav, had said Mahagathbandhan leaders would submit a memorandum to the Governor over the Siwan incident, and alleged that no action had been taken against senior police officials over the Siwan incident.

He had said suspending a constable would not suffice and demanded action against the senior official who allegedly ordered the use of the weapon against protesting students.

On July 25, members of Left-wing student organisations had staged demonstrations and clashed with police in several districts in support of the Bihar Bandh called against the NEET paper leak and police action on protesting students.

Also Read | What is Bihar CM 4-Point education Blueprint? from quality schools to AI-powered exams- check key reforms here

The bandh had turned violent in Patna, Saran, Siwan, Aurangabad, Bhagalpur, Sitamarhi, Purnia and Bhojpur, while Samastipur, Nawada, Nalanda, Madhubani and Sheikhpura witnessed mild protests.

Protesters pelted stones and bricks at police personnel at Dak Bungalow crossing in Patna, following which several students were detained.

 
Get the latest India News, breaking headlines and real-time updates from across the country. Stay informed about politics, government policies, crime, weather major national developments and Karnataka Bandh LIVE.
Get the latest India News, breaking headlines and real-time updates from across the country. Stay informed about politics, government policies, crime, weather major national developments and Karnataka Bandh LIVE.
SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Hindustantimes wants to start sending you push notifications. Click allow to subscribe