News updates from Hindustan Times at 9 pm: Terror-related incidents, infiltration came down in 2019, says J-K DGP Dilbag Singh and all the latest news at this hour
Here are today’s top news, analysis and opinion curated for you. Know all about the latest news and other news updates from Hindustan Times.
Terror-related incidents, infiltration came down in 2019: J-K DGP Dilbag Singh
There was a 30% dip in terror-related incidents in Jammu and Kashmir in 2019 and a decrease in the number of infiltrations into the Valley as compared to last year, the region’s police chief Dilbag Singh said on Tuesday. Read more.
From shopping to banking: Be ready for these 10 changes in 2020
This new year, you will see changes in the way you shop and bank and will have to pay more for certain vehicles. There will be new rules which will have a big impact on the way you use your ATM card as well. Read more.
Exploitation rampant in Malayalam cine world, judicial panel tells Kerala govt
Justice Hema Commission, appointed by the Kerala government two years ago after the alleged sexual assault of a leading actor of Malayalam cinema, has found serious discrimination and exploitation in film industry, people familiar with the development said. Read more.
Cold spell continues in north India but winds from Bay of Bengal hold hope
Easterlies have started improving the severe cold spell which was impacting northwest India for nearly a fortnight now. According to the IMD, the wind direction changed from north-westerly to easterly (which brings moist air from the Bay of Bengal) which led to a marginal rise in the minimum temperature this morning. Read more.
Rajasthan Royals take a cheeky dig at Ravichandran Ashwin regarding ‘Mankad’ comment
Ravichandran Ashwin ‘Mankaded’ Jos Buttler and the match changed completely as KXIP ended up winning the contest. While Ashwin was criticised for his act, the then KXIP captain stood his ground about the issue. And this has given Rajasthan Royals a chance to take a cheeky dig at the off spinner. Read more.
Windows 7 support ends in January. Here’s how you can upgrade to Windows 10 for free
Microsoft revealed that Windows 7, which was released on October 22, 2009, will see Microsoft discontinue its support so that they can focus on supporting newer technologies and creating better experiences.
Vijay’s next Tamil film titled Master, see first look poster
Actor Vijay’s upcoming Tamil film has been officially titled Master, its makers revealed on Tuesday. An official poster was released by the makers on New Year’s Eve. Read more.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The order was issued after hearing an injunction suit filed by Ramesh Jarkiholi’s lawyers on Wednesday. The suit had named 68 media houses, channels and others.
- High Commissioner Alex Ellis also said more debates on the farmers' protest should be expected around the world as India takes on a greater role on the global stage
- Giving two weeks to the government to come back with its response, the bench then formally recorded in its order that one of the issues that has caught its attention is “uncontrolled and unscreened viewing of films” on Amazon Prime Video and other OTT platforms.
- The roughly 20,000 centres being used for the vaccine drive at the moment are hospitals, private as well as public, while many primary and secondary health centres at present are kept out of the programme.
- The external affairs ministry, which too rejected Freedom House’s report, also took exception to the depiction of Jammu and Kashmir in the map used in the document.
- A home ministry spokesperson said these rules prepared by the Foreigners’ Division were part of a brochure issued on November 15, 2019. The rules were consolidated and notified on Thursday.
- After the allegations on Jarkiholi, there were unverified reports of several similar videos and other sex scandals against other cabinet ministers.
- India is a signatory to the Paris Agreement under the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change.
- On the other hand, the DMK’s stalemate continued with its main and long standing ally, the Congress, on seat sharing.
- The person said it was imperative that the photographs are removed from certificates distributed in the poll bound states, adding that the system can continue in other states.
- Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla, former President Pratibha Patil, economist Amartya Sen, cricketer Sachin Tendulkar, spiritual leader Baba Ramdev, chief ministers of states and senior political leaders are among those included in the panel.
- According to Indian agencies, the JeI has maintained that J&K is a disputed territory.