Abducted Kota boy found dead, parents blame media and police
The murder of a seven-year-old boy by his kidnappers in Rajasthan has triggered angry reactions with the parents pinning the blame on the media and the police for 'irresponsible' handling.Updated: Oct 10, 2014 20:59 IST
The murder of a seven-year-old boy by his kidnappers in Rajasthan has triggered angry reactions with the parents pinning the blame on the media and the police for “irresponsible” handling.
Rudraksh was abducted from a park near his home in Talwandi locality of Kota on Thursday evening and within 15 minutes, the kidnappers called up his parents and demanded Rs 2 crore in ransom. They also threatened to kill the boy if the news was leaked to the media and the police, the parents said. However, the media flashed it, which probably scared the kidnappers, who in revenge, killed the boy.
Rudraksha’s body with hands and legs tied was recovered from the Jakhmund canal, about 10 km from Kota.
Rudraksh’s parents, Shraddha and Puneet, who is a manager in the Bundi central Cooperative Bank, said had the police and the media dealt with the issue sensitively, the tragedy could have been averted.
Chief minister Vasundhara Raje, who has left for Singapore , expressed grief and directed ADG crime Ajit Singh, district collector Jogaram and acting SP Manish Agarwal to catch the killers at the earliest.
Ajit Singh said the police were working on all possible leads, adding that the children who used to play in the park with Rudraksh , had revealed that a man had been visiting them with sweets for three-four days.
The traders of the Talwandi area kept their shops closed in protest and called for a bandh on Saturday.
Kota collector Jogaram, MLA Sandeep Sharma and Congress Kota chief Pankaj Mehta, who went to Rudraksh’s house, had to beat a hasty retreat as the angry family members questioned why the police had mishandled the case.
First Published: Oct 10, 2014 20:56 IST