Cooptex weaves a new saree
It looks like zari, it feels like zari, but it isn’t zari at all. It’s cunningly woven silk. Among the new varieties of sari rolled out recently by the Kancheepuram Silk Weavers Cooperative, there is one that appears as though it was made of zari all over, but most of it is silk.
“Our handloom weavers may not have heard of nuclear physics, but the effects they have achieved in some of their new creations reminds me of the concept of wave-particle duality in quantum mechanics,” said M.P. Nirmala, Managing Director and Special Officer of ‘Cooptex’, the apex body of the handloom weavers cooperatives of the state. “The material used seems to be one thing, but is in fact quite another.”
Women who flocked to the Cooptex exhibition here last week were astounded by what they saw. “The pallu and the border of the sari are indeed made of zari,” explained M. Mahalingam, director of State Handlooms. “The rest, more than three fourths of the sari, is just silk, but looks as though it is zari as well.” A sari made entirely of zari, he explained, would cost around Rs 50,000, apart from being heavy. “These look like zari saris, but cost only Rs 14,450,” he said.
It is the unique weave mastered by the master weavers of Kanchipuram saris that achieves this effect. “The weave has to be precisely and delicately interlocked with the pallu and border portions to achieve the desired effect,” said a technical assistant of the handlooms department.
“Our weavers have created other interesting variations as well,” said Nirmala. “There is one sari which looks as if it is made of cotton at the bottom, but silk at the top. There is another in which the sari itself appears to be three dimensional.”
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Sangma said the mineral, weighing truckloads, which were dumped in a scattered manner, were being tallied.
- ‘Khukuri’ a brand of Nepalese cigarette has captured the market in the border areas of US Nagar, Champawat and Pithoragarh. Over 90% of smokers prefer to purchase and smoke this not due to taste but its cheap prices, said an official.
- In 2016, the Supreme Court had placed a ban on animal fights during religious and cultural festivals.
- Air quality had remained in the poor to very poor category since the beginning of January owing to low temperatures. On January 8, the AQI was the worst at 317 (very poor) for this year.
- For the first time, TMC’s youth unit president and chief minister Mamata Banerjee’s nephew Abhishek Banerjee stepped in to solve the crisis. He sent party spokesperson Kunal Ghosh to bring Roy to his office on Camac Street in south Kolkata and held a two-hour meeting on Friday.
- To meet Shah’s target of winning more than 200 of Bengal’s 294 assembly seats in 2021, the BJP has put together its biggest election machinery in the eastern state.
- More than 12,000 doses of the vaccine have reached Ladakh of which around 4,000 have been earmarked for armed forces personnel to protect them from Covid-19, the officials said speaking on condition of anonymity.
- MPW workers demand promotion and cadre-restructuring.
- Choudhury's comments came after the TMC had on Wednesday said the Congress and the Left should support Banerjee in her fight against the BJP, a suggestion rejected by the two parties.