Fakirbhai Raghabhai Vaghela
A clerk-turned-minister, Fakirbhai Raghabhai Vaghela is regarded as one of the most prolific scheduled caste BJP leaders and able administrators in Gujarat.india Updated: Nov 22, 2002 18:25 IST
A clerk-turned-minister, Fakirbhai Raghabhai Vaghela is regarded as one of the most prolific scheduled caste BJP leaders and able administrators in Gujarat.
Beginning his career as a Clerk-cum-Cashier in Ahmedabad Municipal Transport Service in 1969, he joined Bharatiya Jansangh in 1972 and has never looked back since then. The four-time state Cabinet minister, he has been elected to state assembly thrice since 1990. He was the Cabinet Minister for Social Justice & Empowerment, Prohibition, Excise & Development Of Salt Industry when the 10th assembly was dissolved.
Following are the key details about him:
Date of birth: 17-10-1952
Educational Qualifications: M.Com, L.L.B. (Spl), D.L.P. & C.A.I.I.B. (Banking)
Constituency: Dasada (SC)
Asa govt servant
* Worked as a Clerk-cum-Cashier in Ahmedabad Municipal Transport Service (1969 to 1974).
* Served in Life Insurance Corporation as an Assistant (1974 to 1978).
* Worked as an Officer in Union Bank of India (1978 to Feb 1990).
As a minister
* Cabinet Minister for Forests, Labour, Law and Judiciary from March 1990 to Oct 1990 during the rule of coalition Government of Janata Dal and Bharatiya Janata Party.
* Joined Gujarat ministry as Cabinet Minister for Social Welfare, Social Defence and Tribal Development in March 1995.
* Joined as Cabinet Minister for Urban Development, Urban Housing and Forest in November 1996.
* Joined as Cabinet Minister for Social Justice & Empowerment, Prohibition and Excise & Development of Salt Industry in March 1998.
As a MLA
* Elected from Dasada Patdi (7) constituency in March 1990.
* Re-elected from Dasada-Patdi with a big victory margin of 22,684 votes in March, 1995.
* Again elected from Dasada-patdi in March 1998 Assembly polls.
Other political activities/achievement
* Joined Bharatiya Jansangh in 1972 inspired by Atal Bihari Vajpayeeji.
* Underwent imprisonment for being active as a convenor of various programmes in Sardarnagar- Kubernagar areas in Nav-nirman agitation in 1973-74.
* Elected to Sardarnagar Municipality in 1977 to 1981 as an Jansangh Party candidate.
* Actively participated in Yuva Morcha organised by Janata Party in 1977-80.
* Served as President of Ahmedabad Bharatiya Janata Party Scheduled Caste Morcha in 1980-1988.
* Served as president of Gujarat Bharatiya Janata Party Scheduled Caste Morcha in 1988-1996.
* General Secretary All India BJP Schedule Caste Morcha from 1996 to 1998.
* A member of National Council of Bharatiya Janata Party since 1988.
OFFICE ADDRESS: Block No. 1, 7th Floor, New Sachivalay,
Gandhinagar - 382 010.
Phone : 3243389, 3238076(Fax)
Residential address: Bunglow No. 6, Ministers' Enclave,
Phone : 3221267, 3232470