Govt extends ban on bulk SMSes till tomorrow
The government today extended the ban on bulk SMSes and MMSes till tomorrow in view of the Ayodhya verdict on title suit.india Updated: Sep 30, 2010 10:16 IST
The government today extended the ban on bulk SMSes and MMSes till tomorrow in view of the Ayodhya verdict on title suit.
"We have decided to extend the ban by a day in consultation with the Ministry of Home Affairs in the wake of the Ayodhya verdict, which is to be pronounced today," a senior DoT official told PTI.
The government is apprehensive that some extreme elements may foment trouble by inciting communal passions during the period and is taking all measures to check any untoward incidents.
"The Ministry of Communications and Information Technology has today issued orders in consultation with the Ministry of Home Affairs to all Mobile Telecom Service Providers in the country that all bulk SMS and all bulk MMS messages shall remain banned in all service areas till September 30," the Ministry of Communications and Information Technology had said earlier in a statement.
Home Minister P Chidambaram had recently appealed for peace and caution against rushing to any inappropriate conclusion over the matter.
First Published: Sep 30, 2010 10:14 IST