Monday kick-off for DU with cut-offs, fresh applications

Updated on Jun 29, 2014 12:10 AM IST

The city’s colleges will come out with their first cut-off lists on Monday and admissions will finally kick off Tuesday as Delhi University formally scrapped the controversial four-year undergraduate programme on Saturday.

HT Image
HT Image
Hindustan Times | ByMallica Joshi and Vanita Srivastava, New Delhi

The city’s colleges will come out with their first cut-off lists on Monday and admissions will finally kick off Tuesday as Delhi University formally scrapped the controversial four-year undergraduate programme (FYUP) on Saturday.

Setting the admission process rolling — albeit a week behind schedule — DU’s committee of principals also offered those who didn’t apply the first time round a second chance. They can submit applications at a college where they meet the cut-off on Monday. These forms will be valid in other colleges for subsequent lists as well.

Those who have already applied — DU received 2.78 lakh applications for 54,000 seats this year — don’t need to submit fresh forms.

DU vice-chancellor Dinesh Singh had set up the 12-member committee of principals to work out the modalities of admission after FYUP — introduced last year — was scrapped under the orders of the University Grants Commission (UGC). With its academic and executive councils formally approving the rollback on Saturday, DU will now revert to its three-year format that was running till 2012.

However, questions remained about the fate of courses such as BTech — which has 6,500 students enrolled across 35 colleges — and BMS (bachelor in management) that were introduced under FYUP. This uncertainty brought hundreds of BTech students to the HRD ministry, where they submitted a representation demanding the four-year programme be retained. Allaying their fears, the ministry said their worries would be “sorted out” within a week.

“The interest of students will be protected at all cost. Our first task is to start the admission process and announce the cut offs. They have already been delayed,” senior officials said.

The UGC’s standing committee was to meet during the day to discuss the matter but could not due to several members being unavailable on short notice.

For now, it seems likely that those students already enrolled in these programmes will be given BTech and BMS degrees. However, it is clear that they would be the only batch to leave the university with these degrees.

Get Latest India Newsalong with Latest Newsand Top Headlinesfrom India and around the world.
SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
SHARE
Story Saved
×
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
My Offers
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Monday, December 05, 2022
Start 15 Days Free Trial Subscribe Now
Register Free and get Exciting Deals