Three die, six taken ill from food poisoning in Kolkata
Three people - a woman, a girl child and a teenaged boy - died and six others were critically ill in two incidents of suspected food poisoning in Kolkata on Sunday, police said.kolkata Updated: Nov 29, 2009 18:24 IST
Three people - a woman, a girl child and a teenaged boy - died and six others were critically ill in two incidents of suspected food poisoning in Kolkata on Sunday, police said.
According to police, the woman and her niece died in a government hospital on Sunday after they ate biryani at their Samsul Huda Road residence in South Kolkata's Park Street area on Saturday. Two other members of the family are in hospital and their condition is said to be serious.
The second incident was reported from Canal West Road in north central Kolkata's Rajabazar area, where a 15-year-old boy died and four other members of his family were battling for life in a government hospital.
It was not immediately known what the family members had consumed.
"We became apprehensive after finding their door locked from inside late into the day. When we broke open the door, we found all of them unconscious. They had all vomited a lot," said a neighbour.
A police officer said the bodies were being sent for post-mortem examination.