Four of debt-ridden family in Uttar Pradesh consume poison, three die
Three members of a debt-ridden family died and another fell ill after they allegedly consumed poison in Bhuar Niranjanpur area of Basti district, police said on Tuesday.
Shiv Kumar Jaiswal (45), his wife Meena (40) and son Himanshu (17) died, while his daughter Mahak (22) was taken seriously ill after they consumed poison in their rented house in Bhuar Niranjanpur area late on Monday night, police said.
The family consumed the poisonous pills and when their condition deteriorated, neighbours informed police, they said, adding that Jaiswal’s daughter has been referred to BRD Medical College in Gorakhpur.
Jaiswal who used to supply grocery items had reportedly taken loan of Rs 20 lakh recently, police said.
On getting information about the incident, Superintendent of Police Dilip Kumar along with a forensic team reached the spot.
“Sulphas pills (poison), four glasses and two bottles of wine have been recovered from the house which has been sealed,” the SP said.
“Probe has been initiated and every aspect of the case will be investigated.” the SP said. When asked from where the deceased had taken loan, the SP replied, “It is the matter of investigation.”