Ludhiana cylinder tragedy: Toll rises to seven
Taking the toll to seven in the gas cylinder explosion at New Samrat Colony, Giaspura, last Thursday, two of the 32 injured — Ashok Kumar (45) and Meena Devi (30) — succumbed to their injuries on Wednesday morning.
Ashok was undergoing treatment at the Post Graduate Institution of Medical Research and Education (PGIMER), Chandigarh, while Meena was admitted to the Christian Medical College and Hospital, Ludhiana. Doctors said the cause of death was respiratory burns due to inhaling of fumes.
Meena’s sister-in-law, Anjum Devi, 24, and mother-in-law Agnya Devi, 50, were also injured in the explosion. They were admitted to the Ludhiana civil hospital but Meena had to be shifted to the CMCH on Tuesday, as her condition deteriorated. Meena is survived by husband Kamlesh, four daughters and a six-year-old son.
Kamlesh said, “On the day of the explosion, they had gone to Ashok’s house, after hearing his wife’s shouts of fire. Then the blast took place, injuring my wife, mother and wife of my younger brother. I have lost my wife and can only pray for my mother and sister-in-law.” Ashok is survived by wife Parvati, a son and a daughter. He was from Aurangabad district in Bihar and was the sole earning member of his family.