UPDATED ON JUL 29, 2021 09:12 AM IST
- Will Smith announces his candidacy at this year's Oscars with King Richard, a drama about the rise of tennis champions Venus and Serena Williams. Watch the first trailer here.
Reuters | , London
UPDATED ON JUN 30, 2021 08:08 AM IST
- Seven-time champion Serena Williams' hopes of claiming a record-equalling 24th Grand Slam singles title at Wimbledon ended in tears as the American quit with an injury early in her first-round match against unseeded Belarusian Aliaksandra Sasnovich.
UPDATED ON JUN 27, 2021 06:13 PM IST
- Serena Williams, 23-time Grand Slam champion, says she will not be participating at the upcoming Tokyo Olympics.
By Trisha Sengupta
PUBLISHED ON JUN 11, 2021 06:57 PM IST
Serena Williams also reacted to the images of her daughter Alexis Olympia Ohanian Jr wearing a mini version of her iconic one-legged catsuit.
Reuters | , Paris
UPDATED ON JUN 06, 2021 11:20 PM IST
Williams recovered from an early service break in the opening set but Rybakina responded superbly to break again and pocket the opener in a confident fashion.
UPDATED ON JUN 04, 2021 11:11 PM IST
- French Open 2021: Serena Williams employed verbal motivation to help her recover from a 4-1 deficit in the second set of a 6-4, 6-4 victory over fellow American Danielle Collins
PUBLISHED ON JUN 04, 2021 09:48 PM IST
The 39-year-old seventh seed produced a calm and composed display against a dangerous opponent and is now the highest-ranked player left in the bottom half.
AP | , Paris
PUBLISHED ON JUN 03, 2021 08:42 AM IST
- Williams got back to the third round at Roland Garros, where she has won three of her 23 Grand Slam singles titles, by pulling away to beat 174th-ranked Mihaela Buzarnescu 6-3, 5-7, 6-1.
AP | , Paris
UPDATED ON JUN 02, 2021 11:39 PM IST
After Williams won the opening set 6-3, Buzarnescu took the second 7-5.
Reuters | , Paris
PUBLISHED ON JUN 01, 2021 07:34 AM IST
The flat atmosphere hardly helped the 39-year-old Williams who squandered a 5-2 lead in the first set against a tricky opponent who battled back to move into a tiebreaker.
PUBLISHED ON JUN 01, 2021 07:24 AM IST
Williams made her comments in a post-match news conference following her first-round victory Monday at the French Open.
By Rutvick Mehta, Mumbai
UPDATED ON MAY 24, 2021 03:10 PM IST
Since returning from maternity break in 2017, Williams has had to suffer heartbreak after another in her four-year long chase for the Slam title that will put her on par with Margaret Court's all-time record.
UPDATED ON MAY 18, 2021 09:35 PM IST
- Serena Williams’ disappointing return to tennis continued when she lost in straight sets to 68th-ranked Katerina Siniakova in the second round of the Emilia-Romagna Open.
PUBLISHED ON MAY 18, 2021 01:39 PM IST
The 39-year-old Federer is this week playing only his second tournament since returning to the Tour in March after spending more than a year on the sidelines due to two knee operations.
PUBLISHED ON MAY 12, 2021 10:32 PM IST
Playing her first competitive match in nearly three months, the 23-times Grand Slam champion twice came back from a breakdown but struggled on her first serve as Podoroska took the opening set in the tiebreak.
UPDATED ON MAY 10, 2021 04:59 PM IST
The 39-year-old said she felt "pretty fresh" ahead of the claycourt swing as she prepares for the French Open, which starts at the end of May.
Reuters | , Miami, Florida
PUBLISHED ON MAR 22, 2021 11:04 AM IST
- Serena Williams joins several other big names in missing the event.
PUBLISHED ON MAR 01, 2021 08:48 PM IST
Sabalenka did not drop a set in her first three rounds before going down in three against the 39-year-old American in the fourth last month.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 18, 2021 11:56 AM IST
Asked if it was just a bad day at the office, Williams said: "I don't know. I'm done," before leaving the room in tears.
Reuters | , Melbourne
UPDATED ON FEB 18, 2021 10:30 AM IST
- Australian Open: Osaka won the game in straight sets beating the 23-time Grand Slam winner 6-3, 6-4.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 17, 2021 06:00 PM IST
The American, who later wrote an apology letter to Osaka, is bidding for a record-equalling 24th Grand Slam title and said she was looking forward to facing the Japanese third seed again.
By Srimoyee Chowdhury
PUBLISHED ON FEB 17, 2021 01:46 AM IST
The adorable clip featuring Alexis Olympia Ohanian Jr. may make you cheer for the little one too.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 16, 2021 11:05 PM IST
The Romanian world number two went out in straight sets at the hands of 23-times Grand Slam champion Serena Williams on Rod Laver Arena on Tuesday after her serve let her down at a couple of pivotal moments.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 16, 2021 03:33 PM IST
Williams claimed the last five games and beat No. 2 seed Simona Halep 6-3, 6-3 in the quarterfinals despite 33 unforced errors. She set up a showdown with Naomi Osaka for a spot in the final.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 15, 2021 09:51 PM IST
Williams, 39, is among three Americans who have made it to the quarter-finals at Melbourne Park this year and Wednesday's clash between Jennifer Brady and Jessica Pegula has ensured that at least one from the country will be in the last four.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 14, 2021 10:41 AM IST
The 6-4, 2-6, 6-4 victory put Williams one step closer to her record-tying 24th Grand Slam title overall and eighth championship at Melbourne Park.
AP | , Melbourne
UPDATED ON FEB 10, 2021 09:44 AM IST
- Serena Williams moved on by grabbing the last seven games to beat 99th-ranked Nina Stojanovic of Serbia 6-3, 6-0 in a little more than an hour.
UPDATED ON FEB 08, 2021 09:41 AM IST
After briefly falling behind, Williams swept 10 consecutive games and beat Laura Siegemund 6-1, 6-1 on the first day of the tournament Monday.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 05, 2021 02:32 PM IST
The 39-year-old American was playing her first tournament since withdrawing from the French Open before her second-round match because of an Achilles tendon injury last October.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 05, 2021 11:13 AM IST
The 23-time Grand Slam champion got to try something new Friday, too, needing a match tiebreaker to beat fellow American Danielle Collins 6-2, 4-6, 10-6 and set up a semifinal against top-ranked Ash Barty in the Yarra River Classic.