...
...
Next Story

Gurugram man calls out PAUL bakery over live worm in Caesar salad, outlet responds

PAUL responded to the post by apologising for the incident and saying that the issue did not meet its standards.

Updated on: Aug 23, 2026, 22:39:15 IST
Advertisement

A Gurugram man's breakfast at a popular cafe took an unexpected turn after he claimed to find a live worm in one of the dishes he ordered. The incident was shared on Instagram, where the man posted a video showing the worm in the half-eaten dish.

The bakery has since apologised for the incident. (Instagram/@sm.0902)
The bakery has since apologised for the incident. (Instagram/@sm.0902)

Taking to Instagram, Sulabh Mathur shared that the incident took place at PAUL's at Horizon Centre in Gurugram, where he had gone for breakfast at around 11 am. He said that his group ordered six to seven dishes, and they were horrified when they noticed the live worm in their Caesar salad.

"Shocking incident at Paul's, Horizon Centre today! We went for breakfast around 11 AM and ordered 6-7 dishes. We were horrified to find A LIVE WORM in their Caesar Salad!" Mathur wrote in the caption of the post.

Calling the incident "extremely disturbing and concerning", he alleged that food hygiene had been compromised and urged customers to remain vigilant about what they were being served.

Bakery's response

"Hi, We sincerely apologize. This is absolutely not our standard, and we take food safety and cleanliness extremely seriously. Please check your DM. We are committed to make it right," the bakery wrote in the comments.

In a separate post, Mathur also shared a screenshot of his subsequent WhatsApp conversation with a representative from PAUL India. In the message, a representative identified as Rajneesh introduced himself as being from PAUL Restaurant and said he had tried to reach Mathur by phone.

"I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you regarding your recent experience at OHC. Kindly let me know a convenient time when I may call you," the message read.

"We value your trust and assure you that maintaining the highest standards of food quality and guest safety remains our top priority," the representative added.

Mathur responded by asking whether there was anything specific the representative wanted to discuss. The PAUL representative then said the call was to discuss his experience at OHC, adding that Mathur was a regular customer and that the restaurant wanted to personally apologise while investigating the incident to ensure it was not repeated.

In the caption of the post, Mathur said he felt the response was a "standard draft reply" and alleged that the restaurant was trying to apologise and move on.

"Since many of you have also shared similar experiences at PAUL outlets, it seems they dont take things seriously at all and are confident thatl their outlet will continue to do business irrespective," he wrote.

Social media reactions

The post has prompted reactions from social media users.

One user wrote, "Thank you for highlighting this. Paul is one of my favourite. I will stop going there now."

"I prefer street side thela at this time. they are truly better than a big restaurant with hidden worm kitchen," commented another.

"Man if you can't trust cafes like Paul, I don't know where to go and eat," wrote a third user.

"Avoid leafy vegetables in sawaan (rainy season) it's their season of fun and have kids!!" said another.

 
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Bhavya Sukheja

Bhavya Sukheja is a Senior Content Producer at Hindustan Times with over 6 years of experience in digital journalism. She specialises in covering stories that reflect everyday human experiences, with a focus on viral videos, social media trends, and human-interest features that inform readers while sparking meaningful conversations. She loves chasing page views and finding stories that tug at readers’ heartstrings. Known for her strong news sense, Bhavya has a keen ability to spot emerging trends and craft angles that transform viral moments into impactful narratives. Her coverage spans pop culture, entertainment, global affairs, and the internet’s most talked-about topics, helping readers better understand the context behind what is trending online. Before joining Hindustan Times, Bhavya worked with Republic World and NDTV, where she developed her skills in real-time reporting and digital storytelling. Working in fast-paced newsrooms helped her build an editorial approach that prioritises accuracy, clarity, and audience engagement. Bhavya is driven by a curiosity about how people communicate and connect in the digital age. She is particularly interested in stories that highlight cultural shifts, shared emotions, and the evolving nature of online conversations. When she is not tracking trends or producing stories, Bhavya enjoys unplugging and spending time with her cat.

Discover the latest Trending News, viral videos, social media stories and unusual events from India and around the world. Stay updated with the topics everyone is talking about.
Discover the latest Trending News, viral videos, social media stories and unusual events from India and around the world. Stay updated with the topics everyone is talking about.
SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Hindustantimes wants to start sending you push notifications. Click allow to subscribe