About 600 Taliban killed in Afghanistan's Panjshir, claim resistance forces

Afghanistan's northeastern province of Panjshir is the last Afghan province holding out against the Taliban as they are about to form a government. 
A truck with National Resistance Front markings is seen on a mountain top near Panjshir Valley in Afghanistan. (Reuters Photo)
A truck with National Resistance Front markings is seen on a mountain top near Panjshir Valley in Afghanistan. (Reuters Photo)
Published on Sep 05, 2021 05:42 AM IST
Copy Link
By | Written by Meenakshi Ray

Nearly 600 Taliban fighters were killed in Afghanistan's northeastern province of Panjshir, the last Afghan province holding out against the hardline Islamist group, the Afghan resistance forces have claimed. "About 600 Taliban terrorists have been liquidated in various districts of Panjshir since morning. More than 1,000 Taliban militants have been captured or surrendered themselves," the resistance forces' spokesperson Fahim Dashti tweeted, according to Sputnik News, adding that the Taliban had problems with getting supplies from other Afghan provinces.

Panjshir is the stronghold of the National Resistance Front of Afghanistan, led by Ahmad Massoud, the son of late ex-Afghan guerrilla commander Ahmad Shah Massoud, and acting President Amrullah Saleh. The Taliban, which swept through the country ahead of the final withdrawal of US-led troops on August 31, could not control the valley when they ruled Afghanistan last from 1996 to 2001.

Also read | India, US keeping close watch on Pakistan’s actions in Afghanistan: Harsh Shringla

Even though both sides claimed to have the upper hand in Panjshir but neither has given any conclusive evidence to prove it. Al Jazeera reported that a Taliban official said fighting was on in Panjshir but the advance had been slowed by landmines placed on the road to the capital Bazarak and the provincial governor's compound. Taliban spokesperson Bilal Karimi said the Khinj and Unabah districts had been taken, giving Taliban forces control of four of the province's seven districts. "The Mujahideen (Taliban fighters) are advancing toward the centre (of the province)," he said on Twitter.

Also watch | Taliban violently stop women protesters from marching to Presidential Palace

On their part, the National Resistance Front of Afghanistan said it surrounded "thousands of terrorists" in Khawak pass and the Taliban had abandoned vehicles and equipment in the Dashte Rewak area. Dashti said "heavy clashes" were going on. Massoud in a Facebook post has said that Panjshir "continues to stand strong."

Also read | Why is ISI chief in Kabul? Afghan politician says 'to stop Mullah Baradar'

Saleh, who is holed out alongside Massoud in Panjshir, did say it was a difficult situation for the resistance forces. "The situation is difficult, we have been under invasion. The resistance is continuing and will continue,” Saleh said earlier in a video message.

Meanwhile, a top US general warned of a "civil war" if the Taliban failed to consolidate power. "My military estimate is, is that the conditions are likely to develop off a civil war. I don't know if the Taliban is going to be able to consolidate power and establish governance," US General Mark Milley, chairperson of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said.

Milley said while speaking to Fox News from Germany’s Ramstein Air Base if the Taliban cannot that will "in turn lead to a reconstitution of al Qaeda or a growth of ISIS or other myriads of terrorist groups" over the next three years.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Close Story
QUICKREADS

Less time to read?

Try Quickreads

  • In a letter to Trudeau, the group, Canadian Hindu Volunteers, said the film “deliberately shows (the) Hindu Goddess in a derogatory manner”. (Shutterstock)

    Kaali movie organisers apologise after uproar over ‘offensive’ poster

    The university responsible for curating the programme and the museum that provided it a platform issued an apology on Tuesday after uproar over a film with a poster found offensive by Hindu groups in Canada. On the other hand, York University, where the film's director is studying, has supported Leena Manimekalai's artistic freedom. A spokesperson for the university also said its logo was used on the controversial poster “without permission”.

  • Nearly 100 Sikhs had been removed from their posts for not meeting the ‘clean shave’ requirement. (REUTERS/FILE)

    ‘Clean shave’ directive: Toronto makes exceptions for Sikhs security guards

    The city of Toronto on Tuesday said it is making an exception to its “clean shave” directive for security personnel posted at shelters impacted by Covid-19, after nearly 100 Sikhs were removed from their posts for not meeting the requirement. Security agencies contracted by the city laid off or transferred Sikhs who refused to shave their beard for religious reasons. The matter was raised by the World Sikh Organisation.

  • British Prime Minister Boris Johnson.

    UK PM Boris Johnson vows to stay in office after top ministers quit

    A defiant British Prime Minister Boris Johnson was battling to stay in power on Wednesday after his government was rocked by the resignation of two top ministers, who said they could no longer serve under his scandal-tarred leadership. Months of discontent over Johnson's judgment and ethics within the governing Conservative Party erupted with the resignations of Treasury chief Rishi Sunak and Health Secretary Sajid Javid within minutes of each other on Tuesday evening.

  • Britain prime minister Boris Johnson (File/Photo by GABRIEL BOUYS/AFP)

    Two more UK ministers resign in fresh blow to PM Boris Johnson

    Two more ministers resigned from the UK government on Wednesday, piling further pressure on Prime Minister Boris Johnson following the departure of his health and finance ministers. Will Quince, minister for children and families, said he had "no choice but to tender my resignation" while junior transport minister Laura Trott said she was quitting over a loss of "trust" in the government.

  • 3M, Honeywell and a few others make N95 and N99 face masks (File)

    Canadian city of Toronto apologises to Sikh security guards over N95 mask row

    The Canadian city of Toronto has apologised to the World Sikh Organization of Canada for any delay' in reinstating Sikh security guards hired by contracted service providers who may have been terminated over a 'no-beard' policy that forced them to choose between their jobs and their faith. A report by the Toronto Sun said over 100 guards had been fired over a rule that requires them to be clean-shaven so they can wear N95 masks.

SHARE
Story Saved
×
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Wednesday, July 06, 2022