India to vaccinate kids between 15-18 years from Jan. These countries are inoculating them already
India will vaccinate children between 15-18 years against Covid-19 from January 3, 2022, amid rising cases linked to the Omicron variant of the coronavirus, Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced on Saturday.
Countries around the world have expanded their Covid-19 vaccination programmes to include young children and on Thursday Ecuador became the first country to make vaccines obligatory for children as young as five, following the arrival of the Omicron variant.
The following is a list of some countries that are vaccinating children:
1. Italy approved vaccination for children aged 5-11 on December 1 and the French authorities said on Wednesday that they were making all children 5 to 11 eligible.
2. Children in the US aged 5 to 11 were recommended for Covid-19 vaccines on November 2.
3. Canada authorised Pfizer's shot for children aged five to 11 on November 19.
4. Hungary started vaccinating 16- to 18-year-olds in mid-May.
5. Britain's vaccine committee has recommended 12 to 15-year-olds be offered a second dose.
6. Germany will likely offer jabs to children under 12 from early 2022, DW reported, after approving shots for teenagers in August.
7. Estonia, Denmark, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Lithuania, Spain, Sweden and Finland are offering shots to children aged 12 and over.
8. According to government data dated November 28, some 63 per cent of Dutch 12- to 17-year-olds are fully vaccinated.
9. Switzerland approved vaccinating 12- to 15-year-olds with Pfizer's shot in June and did the same for Moderna's jab two months later.
10. Norway started offering one dose of Pfizer/BioNTech to children aged 12-15 in September.
11. Bahrain has approved the Sinopharm vaccine for children aged 3-11.
12. Israel, Oman and Saudi Arabia have approved Pfizer's shot for children as young as five, a shot Bahrain and the UAE have also approved for emergency use in the same age group.
13. Jordan, Morocco, Guinea, Namibia and South Africa are vaccinating children aged 12 and over.
14. Zimbabwe has made 14-year-olds eligible for Covid-19 shots.
15 Egypt said in early November it would begin vaccinating children aged 15-18 using Pfizer.
16 China has approved two Sinopharm and one Sinovac vaccine for children as young as three.
17. Hong Kong lowered the age limit for Sinovac's vaccine to three in late November.
18. South Korea, Australia and the Philippines are vaccinating children 12 and over.
19. Vietnam began vaccinating teenagers aged 16 and 17, AP reported in late October.
20 Cuba is administering vaccines to children as young as two.
21. Venezuela said in early November it is vaccinating children aged 2 to 11
22. Argentina is vaccinating children as young as three with Sinopharm's shot while Chile and El Salvador began vaccinating children aged 6-11 in September.
23. Costa Rica made Covid-19 vaccination mandatory for children from age five.
24. Brazil's health regulator approved Pfizer's shot for 12-year olds in June.
25. Columbia is offering Pfizer, AstraZenenca, Moderna, Sinopharm and J&J vaccines for those aged 12 and over and neighbouring Ecuador is inoculating children as young as six with Sinovac's shot.
(With Reuters inputs)
A 911 dispatcher has been placed on leave and may lose her job after allegedly hanging up on an supermarket employee hiding during this weekend's shooting rampage in Buffalo, New York. “Termination will be sought” for the dispatcher at a disciplinary hearing later this month, said spokesperson for the executive of Erie County, Peter Anderson, in an email to The Associated Press on Wednesday. Anderson said it's unclear who hung up on whom.
A team of Sri Lanka's Criminal Investigations Department have questioned four Members of Parliament (MPs), including two former ministers, over last week's violence against protesters at two protest sites in Colombo, the country's largest city, local media has reported. According to reports, a CID team arrived at the Parliament Complex on Wednesday to interrogate--with the Speaker's permission--and record the statements of Rohitha Abeygunawardena and CB Ratnayake, both former ministers.
Though this is the first confirmed case in the United States, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is preparing for the possibility of more monkeypox cases. Here are 10 things to know about monkeypox and the 1st case in the United States in 2022 1. The Massachusetts man travelled to Canada at the end of April to meet friends and returned in early May. This is the first case of monkeypox this year.
North Korea is ramping up the production of drugs and medical supplies to combat the Covid-19 pandemic, which has wreaked havoc. According to the Korean Central News Agency on Thursday, North Korea is also increasing the production of traditional Korean medicines used to reduce fever and pain. In the capital city of Pyongyang and nearby regions, factories are churning out more injections, medicines and thermometers and other medical supplies.
Veteran diplomat Bridget Brink, who was nominated by US President Joe Biden to be the country's next ambassador to war-hit Ukraine, was on Wednesday (local time) given a unanimous approval by the Senate Foreign Relations Committee for appointment to the post, which means that she just a step away from being Washington's new representative in the east European nation. She was nominated by Biden on April 25.