Two Indians questioned over Bangkok blast, MEA asks for details
Two Indians have been taken into custody for questioning after they were seen on CCTV footage talking to a foreign suspect wanted in last month's deadly bombing in Bangkok. The attack at a temple was the deadliest attack in Thailand's history.world Updated: Sep 09, 2015 12:22 IST
India has asked its embassy in Thailand for details after two of its nationals were detained and questioned on Monday in connection with last months last month's deadly bombing at a Bangkok temple.
The two Indians were taken into custody after they were seen on CCTV footage talking to a foreign suspect wanted in the deadliest attack in Thailand's history.
According to official sources, the external affairs ministry has asked its embassy to file a detailed report in the matter. "We have seen reports on two Indian nationals detained for questioning in connection with the Erawan bomb blast. We have asked for a detailed report from our embassy there in this regard," a source told PTI.
The two Indians, who were not identified, were taken to a military camp for questioning and were later released, television reports said. "Nothing is really known so far about the Indians and it is not clear what the questioning is about," reports said.
The move came as one of the two men arrested over the bombing admitted to a charge of possessing explosives. "We have informed him of the charge. He acknowledged and confessed to the charge," national police spokesman Prawut Thavornsiri said.
The two Indians were taken away for questioning after Thavornsiri led a team to search the Maimuna Garden Home apartment in Minburi at 9pm on Sunday night.
NDTV reported quoting Indian intelligence sources that the two have been released after questioning.
The two were staying in the room next to the one where police found bomb-making materials, the paper said. A foreigner who lived at the room and a Thai woman who rented the room for him are now wanted in the case.
The Thai police are closely combing areas in search for people behind the August 17 bomb blast at the popular Erawan Brahma Shrine which killed 20 people and injured more than 100 others.
A combined force of police and army officers on Sunday raided several apartment buildings and rented houses in Minburi district.
Coloner Wattana Yichin, deputy commander of the Metropolitan Police overseeing Minburi police station, said the raid was part of crime suppression measures as many foreigners rent apartments and houses in the area.
Police so far have issued arrest warrants against ten suspects in connection with the case.
Two foreign suspects have been arrested. One of them was carrying a Chinese passport.
Meanwhile, a suspect who was arrested near the Cambodia border identified as Yusufu Meralli, told military interrogators he assembled the bomb for the actual bomber, who is yet to be nabbed.
The first man arrested, Adem Karadak, also known as Bilal Mohammed, has been shifted from military custody to prison.
Meralli admitted he assembled the bomb before handing it to a yellow-shirted suspect who was seen on CCTV at the shrine leaving behind a backpack which would have had the explosive device.
Mieraili had told the military that he was asked to assemble the bomb, Bangkok Post quoted police sources as saying.
Mieraili identified the mastermind of the attack only as Izaan. He said Izaan commanded the operation by using WhatsApp chatting application.
According to a source, Mierali testified that Izaan left Thailand via Suvarnabhumi International Airport on August 16, a day before the bombing, to China and then headed to Bangladesh.
First Published: Sep 07, 2015 17:43 IST