One Pak ‘spy’ fought elections, the other was imam at local mosque | india-news | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 03, 2016-Saturday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

One Pak ‘spy’ fought elections, the other was imam at local mosque

india Updated: Oct 27, 2016 19:42 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

Maulana Ramzan and Subhash Jangid, the two Indian citizens arrested by Delhi police from Naguar on charges of spying for Pakistan’s ISI. (HT Photo)

One of two Nagaur residents arrested by Delhi police on charges of spying for Pakistan’s intelligence agency had fought the 2013 assembly elections as an independent and the other was an imam at a local mosque, police said on Thursday.

There are reports that a third suspected Pakistani spy, Shoeb, was picked up by police in Jodhpur but there is no official confirmation yet. Intelligence officials refused to speak on the issue, saying Delhi police is handling the case.

The two Nagaur residents, Maulana Ramzan and Subhash Jangid, were arrested in Delhi on the suspicion that they were working for the ISI and passing on vital information to their handlers in Pakistan. They are suspected to have passed on information to one Akhtar Mahmud, an official in Pakistani high commission in New Delhi.

Read | Pak high commission staffer caught spying asked to leave country

According to locals, Ramzan and Jangid were friends for the last several years. Ramzan ran a cloth store and Jangir had a grocery store in Bassi mohalla of Nagaur.

Ramzan, a native of Barmer district, moved to Nagaur several years ago and was the imam of the Qureshi mosque in the city, said said Bhanwar Singh, SHO, Kotwali.

Jangid, a native of Inana village, had fought the 2013 assembly elections as an independent from the Khinwsar constituency.

According to villagers in Inana, Jangid ran into heavy debt after the polls and moved to Nagaur to set up his business. “He was in debt after the elections,” said an Inana resident Yogesh Kumar.

Read | Pakistan high commission staffer asked to leave, 2 Indians held for espionage

Nagaur police visited the shops of the accused in Bassi mohalla on Thursday, but found both shops closed. They also went to Ramzan’s house but found it locked too.

Police said Ramzan had gone to Delhi three days ago. The neighbours claimed that he frequented Delhi for purchasing goods for his shop.

“We were informed by the neighbours that he left for Delhi three days ago to buy goods for his shop,” said Bhanwar Singh.

Locals said Ramzan did not have many friends in the area. “(But) a large number of outsiders used to visit him,” said a neighbour.

Hindustan Times attempted to speak to Jangid’s father, Hirji Jangir, a government school teacher, but his phone was switched off.

Read | Pak summons Indian deputy high commissioner for second day in a row