Valley remains tense after Wani’s funeral, Amarnath Yatra suspended | india-news | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 24, 2017-Friday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Valley remains tense after Wani’s funeral, Amarnath Yatra suspended

Burhan_wani_kashmir Updated: Jul 11, 2016 13:22 IST
Abhishek Saha
Abhishek Saha
Hindustan Times

Heavy security cover was deployed through Kashmir a day after the slain militant Burhan Wani was buried and 11 civilians died in the ensuing protests. A blackout on mobile communications also remained.(Waseem Andrabi/HT Photo)

With Srinagar’s streets empty and strict curfew-like restrictions imposed, Kashmir Valley continued to be tense on Sunday morning, a day after the slain militant Burhan Wani was buried and 11 civilians died in the ensuing protests.

Heavy security presence kept everyone indoors in the capital city, especially in certain sensitive pockets.

Read | 8 killed in Kashmir clashes after Hizbul militant Burhan Wani’s death

“As of now, no incidents of violence have been reported today and restrictions have been put in place at several locations to prevent any such incidents,” inspector general of police, Kashmir, SJM Gillani told Hindustan Times.

Unrest set in after Wani – the poster boy of militancy in the Valley for the last five years – was gunned down on Friday evening in an encounter. Considered a local hero of sorts, he was buried in his hometown Tral on Saturday as thousands of mourners wailed and shouted anti-India slogans.

Read | How Hizbul commander Wani created a new militancy and became an icon overnight

With apprehensions of escalating law and order problems, more security forces were deployed in the region.

A blackout on mobile internet services, which were snapped across the Valley on Friday, continued on Sunday.

On Saturday, protests and clashes between civilians and personnel broke out through the Valley, and at least 11 people were killed, including one due to drowning. Reports said more than 200 people were injured in the upheaval.

Protesters had hurled stones, looted police weapons and set fire to police stations. Three policemen are reportedly missing.

In a statement, chief minister Mehbooba Mufti expressed “deep grief and agony over the death of youths” during the protests.

She had said “disproportionate use of force for crowd control results in loss of precious lives and grave injuries which should be avoided at all costs”.

Read | Burhan Wani’s killing comes as biggest test for Mehbooba Mufti as CM

The separatist leadership called for a shutdown till Monday to protest the killing of civilians.

Meanwhile, the Amarnath yatra also remained suspended on Sunday after authorities stopped pilgrims from travelling on Saturday.

Speaking to Hindustan Times, the chief executive officer of Shri Amarnathji Shrine Board, PK Tripathi, said that people were not being allowed to travel to the base camps in Pahalgam and Baltal from Jammu. However, those at the base camps have been allowed to trek up to the shrine.

“Yatris who have completed their visit to the holy shrine are now waiting at the base camps in Baltal and Nunwan… (which are) safe zone. At least 15,000 people are waiting at Baltal but very few in Nunwan (Pahalgam),” Tripathi said.

Read | Wani’s funeral: Amarnath Yatra suspended, curfew in parts of Kashmir

He added that the yatra officials were constantly in touch with the security establishment of the state and would give clearance to people to travel back home once the situation is declared safe.