Rasesh Mandani loves a straight drive. He has been covering cricket, the governance and business side of sport for close to two decades. He writes and video blogs for HT.
Articles by Rasesh Mandani
- The Ed-tech platform came on board after taking over the sponsorship from Chinese mobile company Oppo in 2019 through a tripartite deal.
- Virat Kohli’s journey to 100 Tests is also a story of the biggest commercial brand in cricket, rubbing shoulders with some of the mega earners in global sports.
- Very few players in India have played 100 Test matches, said the BCCI president, and Kohli deserves every bit of accolade for reaching this fantastic landmark.
- With companies opting to buy the more lucrative jersey rights for IPL teams, BCCI may find it tricky to find a national sponsor at the current pricing.
- CVC Capital Partners, the equity firm that won the bid, sees growth in the world’s biggest T20 league but will focus on performance on the field as well as delivering on projections, says advisor to the big deal.
- The 19-year-old’s life-changing ₹1.7 crore bid in the IPL auction involved meticulous planning by Mumbai Indians talent scouts who had tracked his career path for many years.
- The tapering Test careers of India No. 3 and No. 5, as well as the country’s most-capped pacer after Kapil Dev, seem to have halted after omission for the home Tests versus Sri Lanka
- Arzaan Nagwaswalla, a refined bowler, having spent the last English summer with the India Test team as a reserve, is happy to count the bouncer as his primary weapon
- Chahar gets ₹1 crore playing for India, 14 crore from CSK and he isn’t the only one.
- The recently-concluded IPL mega auction suggests that wrist-spinners, a T20 hot property not long back, may not be in vogue anymore unless they back their primary trait with batting skills.
- The five-time IPL champions picked the injured England fast bowler for ₹8 crore on the second day of the mega auctions in Bengaluru, realistically an investment for 2023 and beyond.
- Fast bowlers fetch good price as do string of uncapped players.
- Will CSK go young? Who will lead KKR, RCB, PK? Will MI pull off a Jansen-Bumrah coup?
- In the last mega auction, the RTM card was used liberally by teams to retain their core. The guidelines for the upcoming auction make it a more level playing field for the two new entrants.
- New rules mean the former India pacer’s tenure has ended.
- IPL’s 10 franchises will have to contend with Australia’s tour of Pakistan while picking players at the mega auction this weekend and those needing captains will be particularly hamstrung.
- The junior selectors led by Sridharan Sharath went into every detail while picking a squad that would suit conditions in the West Indies and it paid off with a fifth victory for the country
- Yash Dhull's team registers four-wicket win against a fighting England in the final at the Viv Richards Stadium in Antigua.
India are chasing 190 to claim their fifth junior World Cup title after a brilliant bowling performance. James Rew hit 95 to revive England from 91/7 after electing to bat in Antigua
- Not being on marquee list can severely harm prospects of a big pay cheque.
Fully fit, the all-rounder is a match-winner; but struggling to bowl more than four years after back surgery, he is under pressure to vindicate the faith new IPL team Ahmedabad have shown in him
Almost 600 players will go into the February 12-13 player auctions that will set the tone for the 2022 IPL. The arrival of two new teams, Lucknow and Ahmedabad, is expected to ramp up the prices for the top players
- The young leg-spinner from Jodhpur is set for a challenge against the hard-hitting West Indies batters after being picked for the first time by India selectors.
- Like for rights of bilateral series, the Indian board could opt for e-auction.
- While players face investigation and ban, the ones who get away lightly are the corruptors—Indian bookies who continue to multiply by conning the system in the absence of policing
- A final call is likely to be taken before next month’s mega player auction. South Africa, the UAE, and even Sri Lanka remain back-up options
- His 100th Test in Bengaluru could have been his final game as skipper if he had agreed to the offer by a senior cricket board official.
- Not new that BCCI has no succession plan in place for the India Test captain’s post
The first fallout was Kohli’s decision — made public on Twitter on Saturday evening, but conveyed to his teammates in Cape Town after India’s seven-wicket defeat on Friday.
BySomshuvra Laha & Rasesh Mandani, Kolkata/mumbai
- The Test series loss against the Proteas means India will be under pressure to finish among the top two that will qualify for the 2023 World Test Championship final