Gas leak in factory near Bhopal leaves 44 sick
A gas leak from a factory in Mandideep township had 44 people taken ill on Saturday, in an incident that spread panic in the region that falls on the outskirts of Bhopal.bhopal Updated: Nov 30, 2014 15:13 IST
A gas leak from a factory in Mandideep township had 44 people taken ill on Saturday, in an incident that spread panic in the region that falls on the outskirts of Bhopal.
Police said the leak – possibly that of chlorine gas -- took place from a chemical factory, which reached the workers of another facility who were outside for lunch.
The incident comes barely days before the state marks the 30th anniversary of the gas leak in Bhopal, the world’s worst industrial disaster.
Panic gripped the Mandideep township when the affected started coughing and vomiting. Police and fire personnel were rushed to the spot after which senior officials were called in.
Initial investigation revealed the leak took place from Speciality Organics private limited’s factory.
Those hospitalised belonged to Goyal batteries, which is located nearby.
"In all, around 44 persons were affected. The condition of none of them is critical", said a police officer. "It seems that the leakage took place from a chlorine cylinder. After inquiry, a case may be registered," he added.
Ajay Sahu, Anil Jha and Hira Mani were identified as those severely affected and were taken to a hospital in Bhopal.
The collector of Raisen, the district within which the township falls, JK Jain said an inquiry would be conducted to ascertain the circumstances surrounding the entire incident.