Wash off your holi excesses with these solutions
Your body will definitely feel the effects the morning after.brunch Updated: Mar 12, 2017 12:41 IST
Let’s face it, Holi is the festival of excess. The food is excessive, the alcohol and bhang are excessive, and the behaviour is definitely excessive. When the festival finally ends, you feel as if you’re under the weather, especially when you’ve binged on alcohol. Because alcohol causes health issues like nausea and headache-ridden hangovers to vomiting and loose motions. It generally takes a day or two before you really feel better.
Here are some solutions, that’ll help you tackle the binging this Holi...
CAUTION: If you’re diabetic or hypertensive, remember that consuming excessive alcohol can cause severe blood sugar and blood pressure fluctuations, especially if you’re on medication.
Afraid of binge drinking?
1. Before drinking, line your stomach with something that prevents the rapid absorption of alcohol. Try hung curd dressing sandwiches, or carrot and radish with hung curd. Or eat cheese slices half an hour before consuming alcohol. These foods have fat or lubricating properties.
2. Drink one glass of water after every glass of alcohol. This helps in less consumption as well as absorption of alcohol, and keeps you hydrated.
3. If you’ve been binge-drinking, take supplements of vitamins B and C for at least a fortnight afterwards, because alcohol tends to deplete the body’s levels of the B vitamins, especially B12.
4. If you have acidity after alcohol, eat a banana or drink aloe vera juice.
5. The morning after Holi, drink lots of liquids, including coconut water, and take electrolytes and fruits. Avoid other foods if possible.
Afraid of over-eating?
1. Eat a fibre-rich meal like oats or wheat porridge before going out, so that you are not very hungry.
2. Taste and savour each bite you take. Eat slowly to avoid overeating.
3. Mix a teaspoon of haritaki churan in a glass of warm water on the night of the festival. It improves bowel movement the next day and helps control acidity.
From HT Brunch, March 12, 2017
Follow us on twitter.com/HTBrunch
Connect with us on facebook.com/hindustantimesbrunch
First Published: Mar 11, 2017 20:18 IST