Sensex rallies 432 points on F&O expiry; financial stocks shine
Equity benchmark Sensex rallied 432 points on Thursday, tracking gains in banking and financial stocks as the November series derivatives expired amid largely positive cues from global markets.
After a volatile session, the 30-share BSE index ended 431.64 points or 0.98 per cent higher at 44,259.74.
Similarly, the broader NSE Nifty surged 128.60 points or 1 per cent to 12,987.
Tata Steel was the top gainer in the Sensex pack, rising around 5 per cent, followed by Bajaj Finance, Bajaj Auto, HDFC, HCL Tech and Titan.
On the other hand, Maruti, ONGC, IndusInd Bank and Tech Mahindra were among the laggards.
Domestic equities witnessed sharp recovery led by sharp rebound in banking, financial services and insurance (BFSI) stocks and metals.
BFSIs continued to be a key driving force for the market, said Binod Modi, Head- Strategy at Reliance Securities.
“Improved prospects of earnings recovery in the backdrop of improvement in collection efficiencies, better outlook for credit costs and possibility of reversal of provisions due to resolution of select large accounts along with better valuations attracted investors in BFSIs,” he noted.
Heavy buying sentiment was also seen as November derivative contracts expired, traders said.
Elsewhere in Asia, bourses in Shanghai, Tokyo, Hong Kong and Seoul ended with significant gains.
Stock exchanges in Europe, however, began of a tepid note.
Meanwhile, Brent crude futures, the global oil benchmark, was trading 1.32 per cent higher at USD 47.89 per barrel.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- For checking EPF balance without UAN number, users will need to log into their account through the EPF homepage at epfindia.gov.in.
- The 15th Finance Commission has recommended that states be given 41 per cent of the divisible tax pool of the Centre during the period 2021-22 to 2025-26, which is at the same level as was recommended by the 14th Finance Commission.
- Here’s a list of some of the tasks which need to be performed by taxpayers before March 31
- In an interaction with members of the Indian Women’s Press Corps (IWPC), Sitharaman said that consumer sentiment about the tax burden on auto fuel was understandable.
- Nearly 1.1 million vaccine doses were administered to people above the age of 60 and those in the 45-59 age group till Thursday.
- Mohapatra said the idea came during Modi’s meeting with Marriott International president and chief executive Arne Sorenson, who complained about the complex regulations in starting and running a hotel in India.