Centre gives nod to govt medical college in Hoshiarpur
The Centre has approved a government medical college in Hoshiarpur besides upgrading the civil hospital there.
The Union health ministry conveyed its approval to the Punjab government’s request on Tuesday evening under the centrally sponsored scheme for new medical colleges attached with existing district hospital, an official spokesperson said on Wednesday.
The new medical college will be set up at a cost of ₹325 crore, of which ₹195 crore or 60% share, will be borne by the Centre. The remaining 40% or ₹130 crore will be contributed by the Punjab government as the state’s share for the college.
The GMC will be the first of its kind in the backward Kandi region with an intake capacity of 100 seats. The Centre already has sanctioned a medical college at Kapurthala on the occasion of 550th birth anniversary of Sikhism founder Guru Nanak in November.
The college at Hoshiarpur will be instrumental in providing quality health care and diagnostic services, besides giving impetus to medical education and research in the region.
Conceding to the request of Punjab chief minister Captain Amarinder Singh, the Centre also cleared a proposal to upgrade the civil hospital from 200 to 500 beds with the latest medical infrastructure.
On January 23, Union health minister Harsh Vardhan had written to Hoshiarpur member of Parliament Som Parkash, informing him that the central government had sanctioned the medical college in Hoshiarpur by upgrading the district hospital “on his request”.
Local BJP and Congress leaders are engaged in a credit war ever since. The BJP leaders term it a victory for their party, state industries and commerce minister Sunder Sham Arora, who represents the assembly constituency, says the project was okayed due to the Punjab government’s “earnest efforts”.
The opening of the new college may take time as for the Kapurthala college announced around two months ago, the state government is yet to sign the MoU with the Union Government.
State of medical education
Of the eight medical colleges in Punjab, only three — in Patiala, Amritsar and Faridkot — are run by government.
The rest — Dayanand Medical College, Ludhiana; Christian Medical College, Ludhiana; Adesh Medical College, Bathinda; Punjab Institute of Medical Sciences, Jalandhar; and Sri Guru Ram Dass Medical College, Amritsar — are run by private players.
The eight medical colleges have a total of 1,225 seats.
Gian Sagar Medical College, Banur, recently got clearance to restart the MBBS course with 100 seats.
New Delhi: Four people were killed and one person was injured in four unconnected firing and knifing incidents reported from four different areas in south, north and northeast Delhi within a span of 15 hours on Friday. Police said the accused in two of the cases have been arrested and raids are on to nab the others.
Pune: The Pune Municipal Corporation has served notices to 245 dilapidated wadas (old structures) ahead of monsoon season citing it as unstable and risky to stay, officials said. PMC has divided wadas into three categories C1, C2 and C3. According to the civic officials, PMC has started razing old, dilapidated and unoccupied wadas after serving notices to its owners. PMC reports cases of accidents caused due to the falling sections of these wadas.
Shattering the barriers of taboo around menstrual hygiene, around 53 per cent of women from Velhe village, near Pune city are now using menstrual cups. Menstrual cups are an eco-friendly alternative to sanitary napkins. Tejal Kumbhar, from Sakhar village, said that cups are easier to use. “It is cost-effective as one cup can be sterilized and used for over at least three years,” said Kumbhar.
Two days after the Delhi forest and wildlife department began excavations to find proof of illegal tree felling in Dwarka's Sector 21, where the Rail Land Development Authority is carrying out the Bijwasan Rail Terminal Redevelopment Project, the department has so far found over 60 trees, including “live trees”, buried at the location. Forest department officials claim that some of the trees which appear to be alive, may have been recently buried or felled.
MUMBAI About 71.25% of land acquisition for the high-speed train corridor, popularly known as the bullet train project, has been completed, as per National High Speed Rail Corporation Limited. However, there has been no land acquisition in Mumbai yet. While 46.71 per cent of the land was acquired in Maharashtra till January, the NHSRCL acquired over 70 per cent of land in the state by May, majority of the acquisition being in Thane district.