...
...
Next Story

DERC left with only one member as chief retires on July 4

The Delhi Electricity Regulatory Commission (DERC) is left with only a single member with its chairperson justice (retd

Published on: Jul 8, 2021, 23:50:25 IST
Advertisement

The Delhi Electricity Regulatory Commission (DERC) is left with only a single member with its chairperson justice (retd.) SS Chauhan retiring on July 4, who, before demitting office, wrote to Lieutenant Governor Anil Baijal urging him to extend the tenure of the DERC chief till he/she attains the age of 67 years or for a term of five years, whichever comes earlier.

HT Image
HT Image

The DERC, which is a three-member commission comprising chairperson and two members, is currently left with lone member, AK Ambasht. The second member, AK Singhal, retired in January this year. The commission being left with a single member assumes significance as the power regulator is yet to announce the annual power tariff for 2021-22.

“A meeting of the selection committee to appoint a new DERC chief was held on June 28, but there has been no progress since then,” said a senior government official on condition of anonymity.

As reported by Hindustan Times on on June 23, the schedule for the annual revision of electricity tariff in Delhi has been delayed by nearly three months. Similarly, the process of selecting a new chairperson for the DERC has also been delayed.

One June 29, Chauhan wrote to the L-G seeking an extension of his tenure till he attains the age of 67. He mentioned several court orders in his letter to back the demand. Chauhan said on Thursday he received no response from the L-G and, hence, had to retire from his position.

“I joined this commission on July 5, 2018, and I have completed only three years and there cannot be any difference between a commission and a tribunal where the high court judge is appointed after his retirement. The only question is whether the age of retirement of the high court judge and chairman of the commission should be 67 years as ruled by the Supreme Court in the Madras bar association case… The commission is headed by me and would be without a chairman on July 4, 2021, when I demit office. In order to balance the public interest of the office and taking into consideration the welfare of electricity consumers, it would be proper for your honour to consider the extension of my appointment in the same terms as held by the Supreme Court in the case of Madras bar association (supra). It is therefore prayed that my appointment may also be extended to the age of 67 years or till the new incumbent joins. I will be 65 years of age on 4 July, 2021,” read Chauhan’s letter to Baijal.

The L-G’s office did not comment on the matter.

 
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Sweta Goswami

Sweta Goswami writes on politics, urban development, transportation, energy and social welfare. Based in Delhi, she tracks government policies and suggests corrections based on public feedback and on-ground implementation through her reports. She has also covered the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) since its inception.

Catch every big hit, every wicket with Crickit, a one stop destination for Live Scores, Match Stats, Infographics & much more. Explore now!

Stay updated with all top Cities including, Bengaluru, Delhi, Mumbai and more across India. Stay informed on the latest happenings in World News along with Delhi Election 2025 and Delhi Election Result 2025 Live, New Delhi Election Result Live, Kalkaji Election Result Live at Hindustan Times.
Catch every big hit, every wicket with Crickit, a one stop destination for Live Scores, Match Stats, Infographics & much more. Explore now!

Stay updated with all top Cities including, Bengaluru, Delhi, Mumbai and more across India. Stay informed on the latest happenings in World News along with Delhi Election 2025 and Delhi Election Result 2025 Live, New Delhi Election Result Live, Kalkaji Election Result Live at Hindustan Times.
SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Hindustantimes wants to start sending you push notifications. Click allow to subscribe