ICC sure subcontinent to host 2011 World Cup
ICC president David Morgan remains sure the 2011 World Cup will be held in the subcontinent despite the rift between India and Pakistan and ongoing security concerns.cricket Updated: Dec 21, 2008 17:06 IST
International Cricket Council president David Morgan remains sure the 2011 World Cup will be held in the subcontinent despite the rift between India and Pakistan and ongoing security concerns.
Morgan acknowledged concern on Sunday at recent developments in the region, with India last week announcing it would pull out of a scheduled tour to Pakistan next month in the wake of last month's Mumbai terrorist attacks that killed 164 people.
"Of course, there has to be some concern about the next ICC World Cup to be played in those four countries," Morgan said in the northern Indian town of Mohali, which is currently hosting a test between India and England.
"I'm sure that the subcontinent will stage the World Cup, quite how in terms of the spread of matches remains to be seen," said Morgan. "That will depend upon the then security advice." India and Pakistan had twice before jointly hosted the World Cup, in 1987 and in 1996 when Sri Lanka was added as a co-host. The 2011 event was also to include Bangladesh.
New Delhi's cancellation of the scheduled Pakistan tour is the third major tour cancellation of Pakistan this year on security grounds. Australia pulled out of its visit, while the ICC also postponed the Champions Trophy one-day tournament. Even before the Mumbai terror strikes, which the Indian government had blamed on Pakistani militants, the tour was in doubt due to security concerns.
Such concerns prompted the Indian government recently to refuse permission for its junior field hockey team to play a series in Pakistan.
First Published: Dec 21, 2008 17:01 IST