PSL 2020: ‘Think you should ask captain that’ - Karachi Kings’ cricketer fumes at team management
Karachi Kings’ cricketer Mohammad Rizwan took a dig at his captain Imad Wasim after the defeat against Quetta Gladiators on Sunday. The match was a dead rubber since Karachi had already booked a spot in the semifinal. Rizwan, who regularly features for Pakistan in all three formats, expressed his disappointment over not being picked in the playing XI. Rizwan has only played two matches in 10 encounters so far.
Speaking about the lack of playing opportunities, the wicketkeeper-batsman said: “Why I didn’t get enough chance? I think you should ask the captain that.” He further lashed out that he was not being sent out higher to bat in the matches he was playing.
“I was told that I am the top-order batsman and that they needed a wicket-keeper batsman who could feature in the lower order. But when I was included in the final XI, I didn’t get a chance in the top order,” he said.
“It’s disappointing if the situation is like this in your 2nd or 3rd PSL. Everyone knows I’m the keeper for ODI, T20I & Test sides but I’m not getting a chance in PSL. The captain has to look at the combination so only he can explain why I’m not getting chances,” he added.
Rizwan’s remarks had come a few days after Kings’ captain Imad Wasim had said that the keeper-batsman “does not fit into the team’s composition”.
“If Mohammad Rizwan doesn’t [fit] in the team composition, it is what it is. No doubt he is one of Pakistan’s top wicket-keepers but if he can’t come in our playing XI, we can’t help it,” Imad had said last week. “We have to look at our squad. We have overseas players and positions in the batting order. We don’t think he is fitting in the batting order anywhere right now,” he had added.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- A few big names were released from their respective franchises, including Steve Smith, who has been replaced by Sanju Samson as the new captain of Rajasthan Royals.
- All-rounder Shakib was back after being given a two-year ban by the International Cricket Council in October 2019, with one year suspended, for failing to report approaches from a bookmaker.
- India vs Australia: Former Australia captain Michael Clarke, who led Australia to the 2015 World Cup title weighed in on India's historic series win, calling the player an 'absolute superstar'.
- IPL 2021: Here is the full list of players retained and released by all eight franchises.
- India vs Australia: Amid the plethora of people who want the 36-year-old out, Tim Paine has received the backing of Brett Lee