Virat Kohli, Ravi Shastri Presser highlights: 'There was no pressure previously, nor there is now,' Kohli on WTC final
- Virat Kohli Press Conference highlights: India captain Virat Kohli and head coach Ravi Shastri address the media ahead of the WTC final and England series.
India tour of England pre-departure presser with Virat Kohli and Ravi Shastri. India captain Kohli and head coach Shastri did a press conference in Mumbai before Team India departs for England to first take part in the WTC final against New Zealand followed by the five-match series against the hosts.
Follow all the updates here:
Jun 02, 2021 05:31 PM IST
No pressure, says Kohli
"Have no pressure on me. I just want to take Indian cricket forward. There was no pressure on me previously and nor there is any sort of pressure on me now," Kohli.
Jun 02, 2021 05:31 PM IST
Will NZ have an advantage in England?
"Conditions are as potent for New Zealand as they are for us. Conditions in Australia should've favoured them too. It's about how you look at things. If you want us to think that NZ will have an advantage before boarding the flight, then it's that otherwise we feel we are equal," said Kohli.
Jun 02, 2021 05:28 PM IST
Kohli doesn't mind long gap between WTC final and England Tests
"It's a great opportunity to reflect and relax. Just for the guys to roam around freely, considering that we will have a five-Test series coming. It will give us time to regroup and that is required before an important series like this," said Kohli when asked about the long gap between WTC final and England series.
Jun 02, 2021 05:24 PM IST
What's the difference between Kohli of 2014 and now?
"If in 2014, you would have told me that in 2021 I'm going to play the WTC final, I would have had a tough time believing that. I have stopped looking at series as ultimate tasks or goals. It's about leading the team in the right way," said Kohli.
"The Kohli of 2021 is slimmer and fitter and only has five and half thousand more runs," Shastri on changes in Indian captain.
Jun 02, 2021 05:22 PM IST
Two teams at the same time can be a way forward, says Shastri
"If you want to spread the T20 game across the globe then this could be a way forward. if you want cricket in Olympics, you need more teams, Shastri after being asked whether two Indian teams playing different formats is the way forward.
Jun 02, 2021 05:21 PM IST
Will NZ have an advantage? Kohli answers
"In the past we've landed three days prior to the schedule and had a great tour. It's not the first time we're touring England. It's all in the mind. We don't have any issues even with just four practice sessions ahead of the final. We all want to make the most of our opportunities."
Jun 02, 2021 05:19 PM IST
"Want to keep on winning,' says Kohli
'Don't think this is the final frontier or anything. We have worked hard to be reach here. For us, it's about keeping those standards hard. It's like football, if you win one Champions League, you don't stop, you just want to keep winning," said Virat Kohli.
Jun 02, 2021 05:17 PM IST
Shastri bats for best of three finals
"A best of three final will perhaps be a better thing going ahead. But one-off is a one-off. The guys have earned their rights. This wasn't built overnight. These guys have been No.1 for a long time," said Shastri.
Jun 02, 2021 05:16 PM IST
'WTC final will be biggest'
"It's the first you have a WTC final. When you look at the magnitude of the game, it's going to be the biggest. It's a format that Tests you. Teams have played each other around the world and earned the rights to play in the final," said India head coach Ravi Shastri.
"I agree. This holds a lot of value. All of us take a lot of pride in playing Test cricket. This is like an accumulation of hard work for all us. Just very happy to play in the finals," said Virat Kohli.
Jun 02, 2021 05:14 PM IST
Kohli and Shastri PC begins
The Indian captain Virat Kohli and head coach Ravi Shastri have joined in. The Press conference begins.
Jun 02, 2021 05:07 PM IST
Families allowed with Indian team
In case it's a 10-day quarantine, the Indians will be allowed to move around the city from June 13 while the WTC final against New Zealand will start on June 18.
looking at the length of the tour, players' families can also accompany them.
Jun 02, 2021 04:59 PM IST
What to expect in Kohli, Shastri press conference
This will be India's first assignment since the home series against England. One can expect a lot of questions about the mental health and preparation of the players after such a long gap since the IPL was postponed. There is a lot of anticipation about India's combination for the WTC final. Who will be the openers? Will India play two spinners? Will the lack of match practice hurt? Do New Zealand have an advantage because of the conditions? Expect Kohli and Shastri to provide a lot of hints in today's press conference.
Jun 02, 2021 04:51 PM IST
Quarantine rules in England
After 14-day quarantine in Mumbai, the Indian cricketers will start their marathon UK tour today. The BCCI is still carrying out negotiations regarding the duration of 10 days of soft quarantine (training allowed) for players after reaching the UK where they will be based for three and half months.
Jun 02, 2021 04:49 PM IST
India tour of England
The Indian team will play six Tests in England - the WTC final against New Zealand and then five Test matches against Joe Root's side. The Virat Kohli-led side will leave for England on June 2, after addressing the press.
Jun 02, 2021 04:46 PM IST
Kohli, Shastri Press Conference live updates
Indian captain Virat Kohli and head coach Ravi Shastri will do a press conference at 5 pm IST today before Team India departs for England later in the day.
Get our daily newsletter
- While Ishan Porel scalped two wickets, Saurabh Kumar and Baba Aparajith picked a wicket each as India A reduced South Africa A to 116/5, extending the lead to 137.
- Pakistan are due to host West Indies for three Twenty20s and three one-day internationals, all in Karachi, starting from Dec. 13.
- Their unbeaten 107-run partnership tore the momentum from the West Indies on day four and put back in charge the home side, which leads the two-test series 1-0.
- India will have to take a call on the middle-order line-up and the pace combination in the Wankhede Test against New Zealand starting on Friday with rain a threat.
- Pandya was released by the Mumbai Indians ahead of the mega auction for IPL 2022.
- Former India batter Wasim Jaffer has made two big changes in India XI for the second Test against New Zealand.
- Former New Zealand captain Daniel Vettori has listen two reasons that could have led to Mumbai Indians releasing all-rounder Hardik Pandya.
- The Indian captain will make a return to team in the second Test of the series against New Zealand in Mumbai.
- While the legendary Kapil Dev still stands out as India's best all-rounder of all time, a former New Zealand all-rounder feels R Ashwin isn't too far behind.
- Irfan Pathan took to his official Twitter profile to back the under-fire IPL franchise for its treatment of foreign star.
- The Ashes 2021-22: WV Raman, while analyzing England's batting ahead of their mega showdown against Australia Down Under, stated that whenever their skipper Joe Root was dismissed, the rest of the batting order collapsed.
- Ajinkya Rahane's disappointing performances with the bat continued in the 1st Test against New Zealand in Kanpur.
- Former England fast bowler Steve Harmison has weighed in on India's potential team combination for the second New Zealand Test, and said that if it was up to him, he would drop both Cheteshwar Pujara and Ajinkya Rahane from the Playing XI.
- The former Indian spinner spoke on Nathan Lyon's poor form, the controversies surrounding Ashes 2021-22 and his own experience of playing in international cricket under a fast bowler captain.
- The two were spotted during India's indoor practice session in Mumbai ahead of the second Test against New Zealand on Thursday.