Zulqarnain's fearful wife looks to join husband in London
The wife of Pakistan wicketkeeper Zulqarnain Haider wants to join her husband in London as she fears for her children's safety after Haider said he would expose those taking bribes in Pakistan cricket.
Iqra Haider, flanked by her two small children, said on Geo News that she was scared after getting threat calls from unknown callers.
"Soon after my husband said on his Facebook page yesterday he would expose these people, I started getting calls from unknown numbers where they told me they knew where my children studied or went and they would not remain safe," she said.
The wicketkeeper's wife, speaking on national television with her face and head covered by a veil and only her eyes visible, said she wanted to join her husband in London.
"I don't feel safe any longer in Pakistan after these threats calls. I am afraid to even send my children out now, I want to be with my husband," she said.
Haider caused a furore in Pakistan cricket when he left the national team earlier this month and fled Dubai for London where he has applied for asylum, saying he was under threat from people who wanted him to cooperate in fixing matches.
On Saturday he wrote on his Facebook page that he would soon expose people who had taken bribes.
"All these people who are saying negative things about me... they should wait for five more days then I will show them my background and status. After five days I will show them their background and place and also those who don't take money and those who have taken money," Haider wrote on his page.
Sources close to the keeper, who has played just one test for his country, told Reuters he was likely to hold a press conference on Friday to carry out his Facebook threats.
The keeper's family have reported the threat calls to the police.
In a related development the fact finding committee of the Pakistan Cricket Board also submitted its report on the Zulqarnain incident to the board.
"The three member Fact Finding Committee formed by the PCB to establish the facts surrounding the incident of Zulqarnain Haider's disappearance from the Team Hotel in Dubai during the recent Pakistan vs. South Africa series, held a meeting at PCB Headquarters today. The committee has finalised its report and submitted the same to PCB," the board said in a statement.
"PCB has no further comments to make on this matter at this stage," it said.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- While Rahane said he didn't know about what Steyn had said, he opined that IPL has given a big platform to cricketers over the years.
- Ahead of the fourth and final Test, which starts Thursday, Kohli was once again asked the reason behind Kuldeep's ouster from the D/N Test.
- India vs England: Virat Kohli cited the example of India's tour of New Zealand in early 2020, where they were blanked 0-2, with both Tests finishing inside three days, mentioning that all people could talk about back then was the performance by the batsmen and not the pitch.
- India vs England: Pacer Jasprit Bumrah will not play the fourth Test against England due to personal reasons forcing Virat Kohli to make a forced change in Ahmedabad. Here is India's predicted XI for the fourth Test match against England.
- Check out live score and updates from the third T20I between New Zealand and Australia in Wellington
- Santner has been ruled out of Wednesday's clash after "waking up this morning with a head-cold".
- Punjab Kings will be the Australia all-rounder's fifth IPL team after KKR, DC, SRH and RCB.
- Sanjay Manjrekar has revealed an incident from way back in the year 1990 when the legendary Geoffrey Boycott denied him a Man-of-the-Match award in an ODI against England.
- BCCI would be seeking assurance from the state governments before letting them host IPL matches this year.
- VVS Laxman is excited at the prospect of the batsman getting to play his maiden game for India.
- Warner struggled to sprint on the field like his usual self and appeared in discomfort while batting, scoring 5, 13, 1 and 48.
- Rahane said the pitch for the fourth Test starting in Ahmedabad on Thursday would be similar to the one used in the previous Test.
- India vs England: Hence, when it comes to comparing the two, Bell, one of England's finest players of spin, is aware of the traits that made both Ashwin and Harbhajan stand out.
- Delhi, Bangalore, Chennai, Ahmedabad and Kolkata have been earmarked as the five venues.