HC issues notice to DDA on land acquisition
The Delhi High Court has sought a response from the DDA on a petition filed by a group of shopkeepers from a south Delhi market alleging that the agency has started the land acquisition process for construction of Metro's Gurgaon line without rehabilitating them.
Issuing notices to NCT government, Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC), besides DDA, Justice Geeta Mittal has asked them to file their replies by March 11.
In a petition, filed through counsel ML Lahoty, about 44 shopkeepers from Yusuf Sarai market near Green Park here stated that the housing body had flouted the government's October 2006 policy and initiated acquisition of land without providing alternative premises to the affected shopkeepers.
The petitioners said as per the government's policy people-affected by the project are supposed to be provided alternative premises before they are uprooted, the petitioners added.
Seeking a stay on the land acquisition, the petitioners pleaded that the court should direct the government to start simultaneous proceedings for rehabilitation of the shopkeepers.
The court fixed March 11 for further hearing of the matter.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- As part of their investigation, police have till date arrested 1,753 persons, which includes 820 Hindus and 933 Muslims.
- The accused man, 30-year-old Sujeet Kumar, remains hospitalised and the police are waiting for him to recover before they pursue “suitable action” against him.
- A bench of justice Vipin Sanghi and justice Rekha Palli also asked the members of the striking union to not put under siege the municipal corporation or throw garbage on the streets.
- Manish Sisodia also interacted with students enrolled in the course to know their experiences.
- Jai Prakash, north Delhi mayor, said that all efforts of the municipal agencies this winter were focused to control local pollution sources.
- No Delhi police officer commented on the incident on record, but senior police officers aware of the development said on condition of anonymity that the two men who were on the target, are lodged in Tihar for their role in the northeast Delhi violence.
- Like several other curious onlookers, the boy too was watching the earthmover in action when the mishap took place, the police said.
- Considering the possibility of quitting this occupation, he observes that “one of the good things of being an auto driver is that all your income is made in hard cash.
- The last, which has a weight of almost one-third in the rankings, is a completely subjective parameter.