Style for all: Indian designers and brands are finally embracing plus size fashion
In the past, it was a given that if you’re not a size zero, you won’t find fashionable outfits in stories. That’s changing now. Indian fashion designers are taking notice of the plus size segment and adding oodles of style to it. Plus size cannot be ignored, say designers like Falguni and Shane Peacock, Payal Singhal and Monisha Jaising.
Falguni and Shane Peacock, who are participating in the fifth edition of the Vogue Wedding Show 2017 luxury bridal exhibition, say that “at times, it seems that the fashion industry really believes all women are the size of those skinny models on the runways”. But that is changing now. “Almost half the women in this country are size 12 or larger, and finally, the clothing industry is taking note. On runways, in stores, even in the pages of magazines, the plus size woman is finally getting some fashion respect - not because the industry has decided it’s okay to be big, but because it can no longer afford to ignore her,” the duo told IANS.
Payal Singhal says the industry is finally acknowledging that the demand for larger sizes - just like the frame - is big. Singhal, known for her celebrity clientele, asserts that it is not only about business. “The fashion industry as a community is coming out to endorse body positive images and that’s great as it’s time we take some responsibility and help women accept themselves the way they are versus the stick thin photoshopped model images they see in magazines,” she explained.
Ace designer Wendell Rodricks has collaborated with aLL, The Plus Size Store, to design a new autumn winter collection, which will be showcased at the forthcoming Lakmé Fashion Week (LFW) Winter/Festive 2017. “Fashion should be for everyone; no matter the age, colour, size or shape. At the LFW, I intend to break all myths about colours and shapes for voluptuous figures,” Rodricks said. Monisha Jaising, who is also part of the fifth edition of Vogue Wedding Show, which is being held from August 4 to 6 at the Taj Palace here, feels the fashion world is increasingly counting on “plus-size customers, a demographic that it has long ignored” to fuel growth.” “Plus size fashion bloggers too are driving this transformation. Around the world, they are the new face of the future of fashion,” she said.
Gaurav Gupta, known for his edgy garments, took healthy note of the trend, saying: “In general, women are becoming much more aware about fitness and a lot more girls are now fitter than before. Having said that, there is a parallel trend of easy shaped couture, with silhouettes which work on many more body types.”
Follow @htlifeandstyle for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- After a short hiatus from social media, Bella Hadid made a return and penned a heartfelt note about mental health. "I am only here to be an instrument of peace and love," it read.
- For her recent outing in Dubai, Nora Fatehi opted to wear a stunning black velvet full-sleeved dress that also featured a thigh-high slit. The actor's gown is the epitome of modern luxury.
- From nerdy minimalist look to contemporary chic, The Girl on The Train actor Kirti Kulhari serves a slew of fashionable styles that are a must-have for this year's Spring-Summer wardrobe
- The fashionista and fitness freak Sara Ali Khan has been sharing some picturesque views from the Maldives and serving us with bookmark-worthy holiday fashion. Her latest pictures in a sustainable monokini are no different.
- From sunshiny suit that leaves one day dreaming to silk maxi dress that looks perfect for hot summer evenings, Priyanka Chopra Jonas has been raising the sartorial bar in her own sizzling style during the promotions of The White Tiger and the fashionista in us is inspired
- Looking for an impactful yet comfortable occasion wear? Check out Kajol’s luxe boho look in Netflix release Tribhanga, donning a multicoloured chiffon cape with sleeves, to channel the modern global woman vibe while staying true to the heritage
- Priyanka Chopra recently shared her quick and easy to do makeup look that she sticks to for all the video calls. The actor is currently extremely busy promoting her upcoming film and her autobiography, online.
- Nora Fatehi recently shared a beautiful black and white image of herself looking like a dream in a pearl bustier designed for her by the duo Abu Jani and Sandeep Khosla.