Nearing an epidemic, WHO raises swine flu alert
India has begun tracking 50,000 passengers who travelled here from Mexico and the US over the past week. “Specifically, travellers from Mexico will be screened for flu symptoms. The travel advisory remains the same; avoid non-essential travel to the affected countries,” said Vineet Chawdhry, joint secretary, health ministry.
The unconfirmed swine flu death toll is 168 in Mexico, of which eight are confirmed. So far, 12 countries have been affected — Mexico, US, Canada, New Zealand, Spain, Britain, Germany, Israel, Austria, Costa Rica, Peru and Switzerland.
In India, a 27-year-old, who had travelled from flu-hit Texas to Hyderabad to get married, almost ended being quarantined. “It is not a suspected case as he has no flu symptoms. He had a cold and a private hospital referred him to the Government Chest Hospital. When he didn’t show up, we tracked him. Doctors have examined him and found him healthy,” said L.V. Subhrama-nyam, Principal Health Secretary, Andhra Pradesh.
The health ministry is increasing its stockpile of the anti-flu drug oseltamivir from 3 million to 10 million, and has invited bids from the four manufacturers of the drug in India — Cipla, Hetero Drugs, Ranbaxy and Roche India. “The bids from all four have arrived and we’ll have the additional stocks ready in a week,” Chawdhry said.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Watch: From the former Miss India’s Vrischikasana or Scorpion pose of Yoga to the Tiger Zinda Hai actor’s bodybuilding exercises at gym, Pooja Batra and Nawab Shah's rigorous workout this Wednesday is all the motivation we need to amp up our couple and fitness goals together
- Esha Gupta recently shared a fitness post nailing an extreme stretch and left her audience speechless. We are in awe of the actor too.
- Yoga enthusiast Malaika Arora stresses on the importance of breathing for overall wellness, lays Monday motivation by taking fitness freaks through the steps and benefits of Anulom Vilom Pranayama or Alternate Nostril Breathing exercises | Watch
- Karisma Kapoor recently took to Instagram to flaunt her toned midriff and inspired us to start the month on a fitter note and take care of our health.
- Shilpa Shetty Kundra shows how to let the positive Monday energy wash down over you by giving ‘the spine, shoulders, and hamstrings that much-needed stretch’ with Yoga’s Forward Bend Pose or Paschimottanasana | Watch