7, including 3 kids, die after gas leak in UP’s Sitapur
At least seven people, including three children, were killed on Thursday after allegedly inhaling poisonous gas leaking from a chemical factory in Uttar Pradesh’s Sitapur district, officials said.
Preliminary probe suggested the gas leaked from the pipeline in the chemical factory in Biswan and those sleeping inside the carpet factory adjacent to it died after the leak.
“Locals informed the police about some gas leak. Initially, it was quite tough to enter the premises of carpet factory due to the pungent smell. We have recovered seven bodies, including those of three children,” Sitapur’s superintendent of police LR Kumar said.
Circle officer, Biswan Samar Bahadur said, “It is suspected that the gas leak occurred from a chemical factory. We have cleared the area.”
Munnawwar, a relative of one of the victims, alleged that some gas leak occurred in a neighbouring chemical factory.
“The area is still gripped with the pungent smell,” Munnawwar said.
Locals said some stray animals also died after the gas leak.
A team of health department has also reached on the spot.
Chief minister Yogi Adityanath expressed the grief over the accident and directed district administration as well as police officials to reached the spot to monitor the situation.
News agency ANI reported that the district administration will give Rs 4 lakh as compensation each to the families of those who lost their lives.