The incident took place in Raipur's Rajdhani hospital.(Screengrab)
The incident took place in Raipur's Rajdhani hospital.(Screengrab)

Five killed in blaze at Raipur Covid-19 hospital

The fire broke out at the city’s Rajdhani hospital after a short circuit in a fan and spread to Covid-19 ward.
By Ritesh Mishra, Hindustan Times, Raipur
UPDATED ON APR 18, 2021 02:51 AM IST

At least five people were killed after a fire broke out at a Covid-19 hospital in Chhattisgarh’s Raipur on Saturday, officials said.

According to officials, the fire at the city’s Rajdhani hospital was caused by a short-circuit in one of the fans and eventually spread to the Covid-19 ward.

“The fire broke out due to short-circuit in a fan in the Covid ward and spread to other wards. We are investigating why the fire extinguishers were not used on time,” Raipur superintendent of police Ajay Yadav said.

There were 34 patients in the Covid-19 ward at the time of the incident, he added.

“While one person succumbed to burn injuries, four others died of suffocation,” Raipur superintendent of police Ajay Yadav said.

The five were admitted to the hospital for Covid-19 treatment over the last few days, Yadav added.

A team of the police and fire fighting personnel were rushed to the spot and 29 patients were evacuated from the hospital, officials said.

The patients have been shifted to other centres, they added.

A case of negligence will be registered against the owners of the hospitals, the SP said.

Meanwhile, chief minister Bhupesh Baghel expressed grief over the deaths and announced compensation of 4 lakh each to families of the victims.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Close
SHARE
Story Saved
OPEN APP