...
...
Next Story

Hanur shootout: Kin call off stir after MLA assures 15 lakh relief

Bengaluru: Families of the three men killed in the firing incident in the Shagya range of the Cauvery Wildlife Sanctuary and residents of surrounding villages called off their protest on Sunday after Hanur MLA MR Manjunath assured them of compensation and action against those found responsible, officials said on Sunday

Published on: Aug 17, 2026, 08:25:00 IST
Advertisement

Bengaluru: Families of the three men killed in the firing incident in the Shagya range of the Cauvery Wildlife Sanctuary and residents of surrounding villages called off their protest on Sunday after Hanur MLA MR Manjunath assured them of compensation and action against those found responsible, officials said on Sunday.

HT Image
HT Image

The families had been staging a protest in Hanur, demanding compensation, government jobs for the dependants of the deceased and strict action against the forest officials involved in the firing.

MLA Manjunath visited the protest site and held discussions with the protesters. He assured them that each of the three families would receive compensation, with the total amount amounting to 15 lakh.

Deep Dive

What compensation is being provided to the families of the deceased in the Hanur shooting incident?

Each of the three families will receive a total of ₹15 lakh in compensation, consisting of ₹5 lakh as immediate aid from the government and an additional ₹10 lakh pledged by Hanur MLA MR Manjunath.

What actions are being taken against the forest officials involved in the Hanur shooting?

An FIR has been registered against the forest department officials, and a magistrate has been assigned to investigate the incident, with potential action including suspension if officials are found guilty.

Why are local villagers protesting the shooting incident involving the Karnataka Forest Department?

The villagers are protesting because they believe the shooting was unjustified, demanding accountability for the forest officials involved and compensation for the families of the deceased, whom they claim were wrongly labeled as poachers.
Powered ByAsk HT

“The government has announced 5 lakh as immediate compensation. I will personally provide another 10 lakh. Thus, the families will receive a total of 15 lakh. I will also speak to the government regarding providing jobs to the dependants of the deceased,” Manjunath said.

He also assured the families that action would be taken against officials if they were found guilty in the investigation.

The protesters agreed to temporarily withdraw their agitation following the assurances. Farmer leaders said they would resume the protest if the government failed to fulfil its commitments.

An FIR has already been registered against forest department officials and personnel in connection with the firing, while a separate investigation team has also been constituted.

Following the withdrawal of the protest, vehicular movement on the Hanur–Male Mahadeshwara Betta road, which had been disrupted since Saturday, resumed. Normalcy gradually returned to Hanur town.

Meanwhile, the post-mortem examinations of the three deceased were conducted at the KR hospital mortuary in Mysuru. Kollegala deputy SP B Mohan told that the situation is peaceful and cremation will be held on Monday as informed by families.

KolleegalaSub-Divisional Magistrate Dinesh Kumar Meena said the Chamarajanagar deputy commissioner had ordered an inquiry into the incident and given seven days to submit the report.

“The investigation has already begun. I have visited the spot and conducted the mahazar. The post-mortem reports will be considered while preparing the final investigation report, which will be submitted within the stipulated period,” Meena said.

Leader of Opposition R Ashoka alleged that there were contradictions between the versions of the forest department, local representatives and the government.

Questioning the circumstances leading to the firing, Ashoka said, “The forest department is giving one version, while the relatives of the deceased are alleging a fake encounter. The government must explain what exactly happened.”

He also questioned whether the forest personnel had any other option before opening fire and demanded that those involved in the firing be kept away from duty until the investigation is completed.

BJP state president BY Vijayendra also condemned the incident and demanded a thorough investigation.

“Nobody can accept the killing of three people in an encounter merely on the allegation that they had entered the forest for hunting. The government must conduct a proper investigation and provide suitable compensation to the families,” Vijayendra said.

The forest department, however, has maintained that its personnel opened fire in self-defence after alleged poachers armed with country-made guns attacked them during an operation.

 
Get the latest India News, breaking headlines and real-time updates from across the country. Stay informed about politics, government policies, crime, weather major national developments and Karnataka Bandh LIVE.
Get the latest India News, breaking headlines and real-time updates from across the country. Stay informed about politics, government policies, crime, weather major national developments and Karnataka Bandh LIVE.
SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Hindustantimes wants to start sending you push notifications. Click allow to subscribe