India, China hold 15-hour meeting to discuss Ladakh border standoff | Latest News India - Hindustan Times
close_game
close_game

India, China hold 15-hour meeting to discuss Ladakh border standoff

Byhindustantimes.com | Edited by Kanishka Sarkar, Hindustan Times, New Delhi
Jan 25, 2021 10:15 AM IST

Eastern Ladakh continues to remain tense as India and China have been locked in a lingering border standoff that also has impacted bilateral ties.

The ninth round of talks between India and China to resolve the Ladakh standoff along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) on Sunday lasted for over 15 hours, officials aware of the development said on Monday. The outcome of the meeting, however, is not known yet. The corps commander-level talks between the Indian Army and the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA), held at Moldo on the Chinese side of the LAC, began at 11am on Sunday and concluded around 2:30am on Monday.

India has been pushing for comprehensive disengagement at all flashpoints and restoration of status quo ante of early April 2020. (Getty Images)
India has been pushing for comprehensive disengagement at all flashpoints and restoration of status quo ante of early April 2020. (Getty Images)

Eastern Ladakh continues to remain tense as two sides have been locked in a lingering border standoff that also has impacted bilateral ties. The soldiers of both the Indian Army and PLA are deployed eyeball-to-eyeball at friction points on the contested border.

Unlock exclusive access to the latest news on India's general elections, only on the HT App. Download Now! Download Now!

“The ground situation remains as it was in August-September (when Indian Army took control of key heights on the southern bank of Pangong Tso). The military dialogue alone is unlikely to yield results. Diplomatic efforts will have to progress simultaneously,” an official familiar with the development said before the meeting ended.

While India has been consistently pushing for comprehensive disengagement at all flashpoints and restoration of status quo ante of early April 2020 during the ongoing military talks, the Chinese side wants the Indian army to first pull back troops deployed on strategic heights on the southern bank of Pangong Tso.

Also Read: 20 years after war, Kargil waits for a new beginning

“Neither side is willing to vacate the positions held by them. It seems unlikely that the standoff will be resolved in the short term. However, talks will go on as it is important not to break communication,” another official said.

Earlier this month, army chief General Manoj Mukund Naravane said that the Indian Army was prepared to hold its ground in eastern Ladakh “for as long as it takes” to achieve national objectives in case the ongoing military and diplomatic talks with China are prolonged. Meanwhile, the PLA has moved back at least 10,000 soldiers from depth areas to rear positions but its frontline deployments remain unchanged.

Senior Indian and Chinese commanders met on November 6 last year for the eighth round of military talks, which remained inconclusive.

Tell us what your First Vote will stand for in a short video & get a chance to be featured on HT’s social media handles. Click here to know more!

Get Current Updates on India News, Elections 2024, Lok Sabha Election 2024 Live, Election 2024 Date, Weather Today along with Latest News and Top Headlines from India and around the world.
SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Share this article
SHARE
Story Saved
Live Score
OPEN APP
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Friday, May 24, 2024
Start 14 Days Free Trial Subscribe Now
Follow Us On