LIVE: Punjab adds 1,036 fresh Covid-19 cases; 20 more deaths
The active coronavirus caseload of India has reached over 1.88 lakh with a positivity rate of 1.68 per cent, as per the Union health ministry. The highest contributors to the active Covid-19 tally of the country remain the six states of Maharashtra, Kerala, Punjab, Karnataka, Gujarat and Tamil Nadu. As per the health ministry data, these states account for more than 86 per cent of the active coronavirus cases in India.
The Covid-19 vaccination drive in India on its 52nd day on Monday administered 1.7 million vaccine doses, highest number of inoculations in a day, the health ministry said. From the beginning of the drive in January, around 2.26 crore people have been vaccinated against the coronavirus disease (Covid-19) till now.
Globally, the coronavirus case tally has reached over 117 million with the death toll about to cross 2.6 million mark, as per the John Hopkins University coronavirus tracker. The Centre for Disease Control and Prevention has said that fully vaccinated people can visit indoors without masks. UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson has said that over one third population has been vaccinated against the virus as the deaths in the country continue to decline. The US airlines are urging the Biden administration to roll out vaccine passports to re-ignite the global aviation sector that has been drastically affected by the spread of the disease and the restrictions that comes with it.
Follow all the updates here:
MAR 09, 2021 11:06 PM IST
Italy records 376 new Covid deaths, 19,749 more cases
Italy on Tuesday reported 19,749 fresh cases and 376 more deaths which pushed the caseload to 3.1 million, as per the health ministry. As many as 100,479 people have died till now, it added.
MAR 09, 2021 10:35 PM IST
Punjab adds 1,036 fresh Covid-19 cases; 20 more deaths
Punjab on Tuesday continued to add more than 1,000 coronavirus disease cases. On Tuesday, 1,036 people tested positive for Covid-19 while 20 died. The state's caseload is nearing 191,000 while the toll stands at 5,961.
MAR 09, 2021 09:25 PM IST
More than 2.4 crore Covid vaccine doses administered in India so far: Govt
The Union health ministry said on Tuesday that more than 2.40 crore people had been vaccinated against the coronavirus disease (Covid-19) till now adding that 10,28,911 people were vaccinated on Tuesday.
MAR 09, 2021 08:37 PM IST
Maharashtra records more than 9,900 new Covid-19 cases, Mumbai sees over 1,000 fresh infections again
Maharashtra on Tuesday recorded 9,927 fresh coronavirus disease cases and 56 more related deaths which pushed the total caseload to 2,238,398. Nearly 2.1 million people have recovered till now. Tuesday's tally is 1,183 higher than that of Monday's when 8,744 fresh cases were seen.
MAR 09, 2021 08:11 PM IST
'Janata Curfew' imposed in Maharashtra's Jalgaon district from 12-15 March
A 'Janata Curfew' has been imposed in Maharashtra's Jalgaon district from 12-15 March, according to district collector Abhijit Raut. Raut added that emergency services, Maharashtra Public Service Commission (MPSC) and exams of other departments would be exempted.
MAR 09, 2021 07:33 PM IST
Tamil Nadu's Covid tally climbs over 856,000; 569 new cases added
Tamil Nadu on Tuesday recorded 569 fresh coronavirus disease cases and four more deaths deaths that took the caseload and death toll to 856,246 and 12,525 respectively, according to the state health department's bulletin. Total recoveries are nearing 840,000 while the active cases have climbed to 4,073, the bulletin added.
MAR 09, 2021 06:49 PM IST
Sweden records 11,014 new Covid-19 cases, 39 deaths since Friday
Sweden, which has shunned lockdowns throughout the pandemic, has registered 11,014 new coronavirus cases since Friday, health agency statistics showed on Tuesday. The figure compared with 11,804 cases during the corresponding period last week. The country of 10 million inhabitants registered 39 new deaths, taking the total to 13,042. The deaths registered have occurred over several days and sometimes weeks. Sweden's death rate per capita is many times higher than that of its Nordic neighbours' but lower than in several European countries that opted for lockdowns.
MAR 09, 2021 06:12 PM IST
Delhi reports 320 new Covid-19 cases, 4 deaths in past 24 hours
MAR 09, 2021 04:14 PM IST
57 new cases push Odisha's Covid-19 tally to 3,37,860
Odisha's Covid-19 tally mounted to 3,37,860 on Tuesday as 57 more people tested positive for the infection, a health official said. Thirty-four new cases were reported in quarantine centres, while 23 infections were detected during contact tracing. Khurda district registered the highest number of new cases at 12, followed by Cuttack (eight) and Sundergarh (seven). The state's coronavirus death toll remained unchanged at 1,917 as no fresh fatality was reported. Fifty-three coronavirus patients have died due to comorbidities so far.
MAR 09, 2021 03:32 PM IST
Italy factory to produce Sputnik vaccine, first in EU: trade body
An Italian-Swiss pharmaceutical company has agreed to produce Russia's Sputnik V vaccine in Italy, the first such deal in the European Union, a trade body said Tuesday. "The vaccine will be produced from July 2021 in (pharma company) Adienne factories in Lombardy," northern Italy, a spokesman for the Italian-Russian Chamber of Commerce, Stefano Maggi, told AFP -- although the European Medicines Agency has yet to approve the jab.
MAR 09, 2021 02:14 PM IST
Maharashtra: Aurangabad reports 388 new Covid-19 cases
With the addition of 388 new cases of coronavirus, the tally of infections in Maharashtra's Aurangabad district has risen to 53,357, an official said on Tuesday, reports PTI.
MAR 09, 2021 01:46 PM IST
Russia reports less than 10,000 new Covid-19 cases for first time in 5 months
Russia reported 9,445 new Covid-19 cases on Tuesday, the first time since early October that the daily tally has dropped below 10,000, reports Reuters
MAR 09, 2021 01:24 PM IST
Karnataka 'marching towards a Covid free state', says state health minister
Karnataka Health Minister Dr K Sudhakar on Tuesday said the state is 'marching towards a Covid free state' with more than 10 lakh vaccinations having been done so far, reports PTI.
MAR 09, 2021 12:49 PM IST
Senior BJP leader LK Advani receives first jab of Covid vaccine
MAR 09, 2021 12:47 PM IST
DMK president MK Stalin receives first dose of Covid vaccine
DMK president M K Stalin received a Covid-19 vaccination on Tuesday at a private hospital in Chennai.
MAR 09, 2021 12:39 PM IST
Puducherry reports 26 new Covid-19 cases
Twenty six fresh Covid-19 cases in the Union Territory of Puducherry on Tuesday took the tally to 39,908, while the fatalities remained at 670 with no deaths being reported, the health department said, reports PTI.
MAR 09, 2021 12:12 PM IST
Actor Ranbir Kapoor tests Covid-19 positive
MAR 09, 2021 11:38 AM IST
Veteran actor Paresh Rawal gets first dose of Covid vaccine
Veteran actor and former BJP MP Paresh Rawal on Tuesday said that he has received the first dose of the coronavirus vaccine, reports PTI.
MAR 09, 2021 11:16 AM IST
Maharashtra: Thane reports 610 new Covid-19 cases
With the addition of 610 new cases of coronavirus, the infection count in Maharashtra's Thane district has gone up to 2,70,455,an official said on Tuesday, reports PTI.
MAR 09, 2021 10:52 AM IST
Over 20 lakh people vaccinated against Covid-19 in one day: Health ministry
MAR 09, 2021 10:35 AM IST
Made in India Covid-19 vaccine reaches Jamaica
As part of its Vaccine Maitri initiative aimed to assist countries in their fight against the coronavirus pandemic, the Made-in-India vaccines reached Jamaica on Monday (local time), reports ANI.
MAR 09, 2021 09:59 AM IST
Indonesia clears AstraZeneca Covid shot for emergency use
Indonesia cleared AstraZeneca Plc’s coronavirus vaccine for emergency use, a second shot made available by the government to bolster its inoculation drive amid concern over an influx of new virus variants, reports Bloomberg.
MAR 09, 2021 09:23 AM IST
India reports 15,388 new coronavirus cases in last 24 hours
India reports 15,388 new coronavirus cases and 77 deaths in last 24 hours, takes the total Covid-19 tally to over 11.24 million, as per the health ministry data.
MAR 09, 2021 09:03 AM IST
Over 22 crore samples tested for Covid-19 so far: ICMR
MAR 09, 2021 08:19 AM IST
Covid vaccines made in India reaches Belize in Central America
MAR 09, 2021 07:48 AM IST
China reports 8 new Covid-19 cases in last 24 hours
China reported eight new Covid-19 cases on March 8, down from 19 a day earlier, the country's national health authority said on Tuesday, reports Reuters.
Get our daily newsletter
- On Friday, state BJP chief CR Patil organised some 5,000 vials of remdesivir and offered to distribute them free to people from the BJP office in Surat, while the state reeled under a severe shortage.
- While a complete week-long lockdown was announced in Madhya Pradesh capital Bhopal, the Haryana government decided to impose night curfew across the state.
- The Congress president also suggested that all equipment, medicine and support infrastructure for Covid-19 should be exempted from the Goods and Services Tax (GST).
- The scheduled meeting underlines the urgency of the situation as Covid-19 cases in April have surpassed the last year’s peak of the first wave, demanding frantic efforts from different quarters to stem the surging pandemic.
- Data available with PRS Legislative Research and the Lok Sabha secretariat shows 61 ordinances were promulgated between May 2004 and May 2014. But after the National Democratic Alliance took over in 2014, 76 bills have been pushed through the ordinance route.
- On Monday, the first official Shahi Snan, or royal holy bath, after the month-long Mahakumbh was notified by the state government on April 1, devotees gathered to take holy dip in the Ganga in huge numbers, with most not wearing masks.
- The recommendation, issued by the subject expert committee (SEC), now awaits a formal approval by the drugs controller general of India (DCGI), who heads the Central Drugs Standards Control Organisation (CDSCO).
- The ATS scanned calls made by 9,000 mobile phone users on the evening of March 4 in the vicinity of where Hiran lived, which led them to the two arrests, the official added.
- On Monday, HT had first published the story, ‘After crime branch its EOW’s turn to clean up’, explaining how Nagrale has taken at hand the task of shunting out those officers who are enjoying postings in the same department since a long period.
- The officials told HT that it is being ascertained if the suspects smothered Hiran in a moving car, or at Gaimukh Chowpatty in Thane, or if somebody else was also involved in the murder. The officials are also trying to confirm if Vaze was present at the scene of the murder.
- The current weekly average national positivity rate (based on Sunday’s number) is 9.9%, and rising – far higher than the 5% (and declining) level which indicates that things are getting better.
- Advocate-petitioner ML Sharma mentioned his PIL before Chief Justice of India (CJI) SA Bobde, who said the matter will be listed after two weeks. No date, however, was set for the hearing.
- According to the 1985 Assam Accord, anyone staying in the state prior to March 24, 1971 or with verifiable lineage to people residing in the state on or before that is an Indian citizen—a requirement also accepted for inclusion in the National Register of Citizens (NRC) .