News updates from Hindustan Times at 1pm: 36 British MPs write to Dominic Raab in support of farmers’ protests and all the latest news
Here are today’s top news, analysis and opinion at 1pm. Know all about the latest news and other news updates from Hindustan Times.
36 British MPs back farmers’ protest, want UK to raise issue with India
Thirty-six British MPs from various parties - including some of Indian origin and others representing many constituents with links in Punjab – have written to British Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab, asking him to raise the issue of farmers’ agitation with the Narendra Modi government. Read More
Haryana health minister Anil Vij tests Covid-19 positive, weeks after first Covaxin dose
Haryana health minister Anil Vij, who was administered a dose of Covaxin last month, said on Saturday he has tested positive for the coronavirus disease (Covid-19) and has been admitted to a hospital. Read More
All states accept Rs 1.1 lakh crore borrowing option to meet GST shortfall
All states and Union territories have decided to go for the first option given by the Centre to meet the revenue shortfall arising out of the Goods and Services Tax (GST) implementation with Jharkhand becoming the latest state to join the list, the government said on Saturday. Read More
Third aircraft carrier an operational necessity to counter expansionist China
Indian Navy chief Admiral Karambir Singh has pitched for a third aircraft carrier with the Narendra Modi government calling it a necessity in the current security environment in Asia. Read More
Reddit shares picture of ‘floating’ Christmas tree. Would you try it?
With December having begun, it is safe to say that the festive season is upon us. If you’re currently decorating your house with fairy lights and various winter-themed ornaments. Read More
Mank movie review: David Fincher demolishes Hollywood mythmaking in delicious new Netflix film
Alternately hard-nosed and dewy-eyed, Mank is the most fiendishly entertaining movie about movies since Ben Affleck’s Argo. It’s satirical but sweet, weary but vengeful — it’s unlike anything director David Fincher has ever made. Read More
Bhumi Pednekar shows who’s the boss in Rs 1 lakh outfit at Durgamati promotions
Channelling her inner girl boss vibe while promoting her upcoming film Durgamati, Bhumi Pednekar recently stunned in a gorgeous power suit and we can’t help but take fashion inspiration. Read More
‘Govt committed to principle of reform, perform & transform’: PM Modi
While delivering a keynote address at IIT 2020 Global Summit via video conference, Prime Minister Narendra Modi asserted that his government is fully committed to the principle of reform, perform and transform. He said that India is witnessing a sea change in the way it works. Watch
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The ULFA-I wants the oil drilling company to pay its ‘due share’ for extracting natural resources from Assam and rest of northeast region.
- In another move to deepen military cooperation, Rajnath Singh and his Singaporean counterpart Ng Eng Hen expressed their support to the early conclusion of agreements to facilitate live firing drills and to establish reciprocal arrangements for the cross-attendance of military courses.
- Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan put Customs in his line of fire over the investigation into the gold smuggling case.
- In January first week at least 80,000 ducks and 10,000 chickens were culled in Alappuzha and Kottayam districts and the Centre had rushed a high-level team to Kerala. The state government had announced ₹100 per bird to compensate poultry farmers.
- CPI (M) general secretary Mohammad Yusuf Tarigami who is one of the senior most leaders of the Gupkar Alliance said Sajjad Lone could have raised the issues internally instead of exiting.
- Sebastian Almeida's collection now stands at 82 guitars, 20 more than what he last had when he lost it all in the fire.