2 Canadians killed in Mumbai attacks: FM
Two Canadians, including a woman, were among over 160 people killed in the terror strikes in Mumbai, Foreign Minister Lawrence Cannon has said.india Updated: Nov 29, 2008 19:52 IST
Two Canadians, including a woman, were among over 160 people killed in the terror strikes in Mumbai, Foreign Minister Lawrence Cannon has said.
The Canadian victims' names had not been released by the government here so far, but Cannon said their families had been notified.
"On behalf of all Canadians and the Government of Canada, I offer my deepest sympathies to the families and friends of the deceased," Cannon said in a statement.
"Our thoughts and prayers are with the families at this difficult time," said Cannon, whose statement in French added that one of the victims was female.
Canada, he said, strongly condemns "these despicable acts of violence" targeting innocent civilians.
The Foreign Minister said the government was closely following events in India and working to assist Canadians in Mumbai.
"I want to reassure Canadians and the families affected that the government of Canada is making every effort to help and support Canadians in Mumbai. We continue to monitor the situation very closely."
The announcement came as one of the victims' identity was disclosed by his colleague.
Michael Moss, a physician who was on vacation in India, was killed in the Mumbai terror attacks on Wednesday. Moss was due to return home early next week, Ron Ludman, director of professional services at the Richardson Hospital Centre in Montreal said.
"It's almost inconceivable to us that on Monday, he won't be here."
First Published: Nov 29, 2008 16:01 IST