CBI questions man over cash-on-camera scam

Rohit Chaturvedi's His questioning is likely to be followed by quizzing of Natwar Rateria, Personal Secretary of Judeo.

india Updated: Dec 02, 2003 18:52 IST

In the first ever questioning in the cash-on-camera scandal, the CBI on Tuesday quizzed one person, Rohit Chaturvedi, after the agency traced that some telephone calls were made from his number to the hotel room, where the video purportedly showing former Union Minister Dilip Singh Judeo as accepting bribe was filmed.

The CBI questioned Chaturvedi, a resident of Jangpura in south Delhi, at length about the information he had about the entire case and the reasons for his making calls to the hotel room from his mobile telephone number, agency sources said.

His questioning is likely to be followed by quizzing of Natwar Rateria, Personal Secretary of Judeo, who was served a notice last week to appear before the CBI.

Besides Rateria, Judeo, who resigned as a Union Minister following disclosure of footage purportedly showing him accepting money in a hotel room, was also served notice to appear before the agency for questioning.

The sources said Rateria's questioning would help the CBI in ascertaining whether to convert the Preliminary Enquiry into a Regular Case under the Prevention of Corruption Act or to continue the probe.

First Published: Dec 02, 2003 18:52 IST