Doctor appeared in court before CBI raid

Updated on Feb 12, 2008 02:19 AM IST
Kidney kingpin Dr Amit Kumar had appeared in a city court in connection with an illegal kidney transplant case.
HT Image
HT Image
Hindustan Times | ByVijaita Singh, New Delhi

Three days before the Moradabad Police raided his house in Gurgaon on January 24, Dr Amit Kumar appeared before a city court in connection with an illegal kidney transplant case.

The case in question was registered by the Delhi Police against 12 persons, including Dr Amit, at the Hazrat Nizamuddin railway police station in 2000.

The case came up for hearing on January 21, 2008, at the Tis Hazari court complex. Dr Amit appeared in court along with the other accused.

After three days on January 24, a joint team of the Moradabad and Gurgaon police raided Dr Amit's house in Gurgaon and busted the multi-crore kidney racket. Hours before the raid, Dr Amit escaped, eventually feeling to Nepal.


Hindustan Times

has learnt Dr Amit appeared in the court of Metropolitan Magistrate SK Gautam after summons went out against him. The court issued a non-bailable warrant against one of the accused, Dr Rajesh Kumar Gupta, as he failed to appear. Gupta cited medical reasons to not appear. The next date of hearing in the case is March 10, 2008.

Delhi Police registered the case in which Dr Amit and the others appeared in court on December 2, 2000, on a complaint of T Nag Raju, a canteen employee at the Hazrat Nizamuddin railway station.

Raju had reportedly overheard a conversation between alleged kidney donors and touts.

The police arrested seven persons from the station and, probing the case, they got to Dr Amit, who was also arrested (He obtained bail). The police registered a case under sections of 420 (cheating), 468 (forgery), 471 (using as genuine a forged document), 120B (criminal conspiracy) of the Indian Penal Code and various sections of the Organ Act.

The 12 accused were Dr Amit Kumar, Ravi Kumar, Kata Kumar, Budida Vakteshwar, Gurel Janakram, Antony Andrew, Rinki Reddy, Mohammad Rejwan, Dr Jeevan Ramesh, Dr Rajesh Kumar Gupta, Dr Satprakash Gupta and Dr Upendra Kumar. Seven accused gave their addresses in Andhra Pradesh, all fake.

Delhi Police prepared the first chargesheet on January 23, 2001, which was put up in court on January 30. A supplementary chargesheet was filed in the court in May 2001.

Close Story
Story Saved
Saved Articles
My Reads
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Thursday, August 11, 2022
Start 15 Days Free Trial Subscribe Now