Food Poisoning kills 13-year old, 60 fall ill
Following consumption of contaminated water and food, 60 people fell ill, while a 13-year old girl succumbed to food poisoning. Local MLA has blamed the district administration for underperformance.india Updated: May 25, 2010 15:54 IST
A 13-year-old girl died and 60 others took ill after suspected food poisoning at a colony, 34 km from Dharampuri, today.
People at Thoppampatti colony were served food items of a marriage function on Monday. After a few hours, they started puking and complained of loose motion and were admitted to a Primary Health centre, District Deputy Director, Health Services, Dr N Iyyanar said.
Later, 60 people, including 25 women and 13 children were given treatment and were declared out of danger, he said. A Medical team, which examined them, diagnosed that the cause of vomiting was food poisoning.
However, for 13-year-old A.Bhuwaneswari, the entire affair turned out to be fatal. Collector P.Amudha said that as per the medical report, the incident occurred due to food poisoning. Water and food samples have been collected for examination.
P Dillybabu, an MLA belonging to the CPI-M, claimed that it was consumption of contaminated water from water tanks that led to vomiting and diarrhoea and charged the district administration with underperformance.
First Published: May 25, 2010 15:46 IST