Gujarat woman strips in protest
Pooja Chauhan seems to have set a trend of sorts for the ‘harassed’ women in Gujarat for protesting against their persecutors. Ever since she stripped in public and paraded on the Rajkot roads in a semi-nude condition protesting against “torture” from her in-laws and the police inaction early last year, several other women in the state have resorted to the same method to protest against the harassment they have been subjected to.
On Wednesday night, Geeta Salat did exactly what Pooja had done and won national headlines. She was dressed in jeans and shirt when some miscreants, including an autorikshaw driver, started teasing her in the Sahakar Nagar area of Rajkot. When she could not bear the harassment any further, she removed her shirt in a huff and paraded in a semi-nude condition in front of a sizeable crowd.
“The woman, identified as Geeta Salat, has admitted to having stripped in public after being subjected to harassment by some miscreants. We’ve arrested the autorikshaw driver, Kana Rajput, and registered a case against him and others involved for teasing and molesting a woman. We’ve arrested Geeta, too, for indecent behaviour in public,” city police commissioner Sudhir Sinha said.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The DoPT is the nodal ministry for the CBI and any administrative action against Class-I gazetted officers (DSPs) is approved by it while the CBI Director has powers to suspend Inspectors and below rank officers.
- The CM said that policies have been simplified and they would be further eased to help those wanting to contribute to Bihar’s progress in different ways.
- Billed as Asia’s oldest and India’s biggest festival, IFFI is being held in Goa since 2004. This year the festival will open with the Indian premiere of the movie ‘Another Round’ by Thomas Vinterberg.
- Glitches were reported from some districts from states including Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan and Uttarkhand.
- According to the police, the encounter took place between Kutru and Ketulnar jungles on Saturday evening.